Attended a Portrait Workshop

Discussion in 'People' started by PGB, Oct 22, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Tom and Pat Cory hosted a portraiture workshop at then Huntsville Botanical Gardens today. Leigh and I attended. We had a great time, everyone was very nice. The weather was less than ideal in my opinion but we made the best of it. Below are a few shots I managed to capture. Portraiture is not my calling, so any critiques or comments are always welcome. All shot with the D2x 90mm Tamron and Nikon 24-85mm.

Young Model
    [​IMG]

Young Model and her sister
    [​IMG]

Leigh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite of the session.

[​IMG]

2. Hi Patrick,

Very cool shots. My favorites are the second (very cute duet) and third (sultry Leigh!).

It's nitpicking, but I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the WB in a few of them, and a couple might, if anything, be too sharp.

They're all very fun and pleasing portraits.

Best wishes,

David

3. I think you have done quite well with these Patrick. You do have a WB problem on many of them and it is most apparent on the last one. By the way, I like that one a lot. I have taken just a few minutes to remove the color cast and will post it here for you to see the diffence. I'm sure I could do this better if I had the original file.

This color cast is also exhibited on the first two images. A professor I had in a B&W class in college said that my prints looked muddy or rather had an overall grey cast to them. These two color images are nicely done but could be improved in post processing by brightening them up a little and removing the overall cast they have.

By the way, Leigh is looking good and she obviously knows her way around modeling. My favorites are #4 and #7.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
  4. Sexy Leigh

Nice series, Patrick. It rather fun to see Leigh being sexy for you, especially in that last photo. I see a color cast too and would like to ask Gordon what method he used to correct it in the image he posted.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Hi Virginia, normally I would make the WB correction in NC but since I only had a JPEG I did it by adjusting the hue. Leigh is posed in an area with lots of green and yellow so I removed some of those two colors. I also adjusted the brightness and contrast a little as well and then finally I cropped it more to my liking and and also to remove part of the pink shirt because it had blown highlights.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks for the responses. It was extremely overcast today which made it difficult to get good whitebalance. I decided to try again at processing the last shot as it is the one that Gordon fixed up. I decided to not use FM's Intellisharpen and not modify the gamma any.

Is this any better?

[​IMG]

7. Hi Patrick,

Lovely serie of images. The children are great. And you did a great job on the photo's of Leigh. I try to edit a little bit of one photo of Leigh that i really like. I could not get the best out of it because it is a resized photo for web.

[​IMG]

Leigh is nice to see you are modelling for Patrick. And i bet we all enjoy your beauty in the shots Leigh. And the photo on the bridge is very beautiful to. And you are naughty to the photographer then you get caught on image. So thanks to both of you.

Greetings,
    Vince

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Reprocessed the first one a bit.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

9. Yes. Patrick, this is better, but you still need to do a little more. Here's one I did using your last iteration. I adjusted the levels (they were off), lightened the image a little with curves and yes, posted here is sRGB instead of Adobe 1998. Having never seen Leigh in person, it's hard to know how close this is to the real person.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hey Patrick, what these folks have already said is right on, and I'll echo their sentiments. You must to get a handle on your WB when it comes to skintones! What was your WB setting for these? Didn't I suggest you shoot a grey card recently while commenting on your son's b-day party pics? Either do a PRE WB in-cam or shoot a grey card, and make the adjustments in post. Either way works. If you shoot a grey card, be sure to get a shot of it for every conditions. I have a WhiBal card, and find it invaluable.
    As for the relative lack of brightness in the shots, well, you could turn up the flash a touch more, but also you could reflect some ambient light onto Leigh's face with a big ol white reflector, or even a plain ol white foam core board. Also, for the most part, you need to make the crops of Leigh tighter.
    The 1st one of her has a tilted rail, so I'd crop it right below the rail board after straightening it out.
    The 4th shot of Leigh I would crop just below her "collar buckle" and then about mid-back.

So, what did you learn from the portrait workshop? Got anything to share?

11. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Okay. Sorry if you are getting bored with this. I appreciate everyone's input. Like I said real portrait photography is new to me so I need all the help I can get.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

and Desaturated
    [​IMG]

12. Actually Patrick, when I do portrait work outside I pray for an overcast day with it's nice soft light. The problem with trying to comment on an image that you took is that I have never met Leigh in person and don't know what her skin tone is or her hair color. For that reason I keyed off of the yellow flower in her hair. You have removed much of the color cast that was in the original image but in doing so have left the image somewhat dull and underexposed. This is most apparent when you look at the yellow flower in her hair or the foliage in the background.

Did you shoot this in RAW, if so I would make my WB adjustment in NC. If doing it in PS I would make your corrections on another layer. First to brighten it up some I would go to the "brightness/contrast" and kick the contrast up just a tad (4 to 6) and then increase the brightness up a little (5 to 6). After that is done you might adjust the hue saturation to remove a little of the green/yellow that shows up in the original. If her hair is too light you could burn it in a little to darken it while still leaving the face brighter. I also used the dodge tool to lighten her eyes just a tad and also to brighten the flower in her hair.

I hope this is helpful to you and that you don't take offense at my critique. I would be glad to call you with further help should you desire. If so, send me a PM and I will call immediately as I am home tonight.

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

Thanks Steve. I had my WB set to cloudy as it was really overcast today. I didn't use any flash accept for number 6.

What did I learn? I learned that I need a grey card or learn to use my expodisk. Take foam core with me and have more patience. This class didn't really get into much other than posing, and composition. Still a lot of fun though. I need to practice my post processing a lot more. Oh, I also learned that taking pictures of people is really more difficult than flying birds that I am used too.

Thanks for the comments.

14. Wb

They view better in a colour profile aware viewer - albeit by converting to Adobe RGB when viewing as there are no profile embedded. What you might try is simply converting to sRGB when saving for web, as most web browers are not colour profile aware. Ignore this if you are already saving to sRGB for web...

Nice series BTW, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
    Jonathan

15. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nicely done Patrick...
    That first one of the little girl is a great shot, but this one..

[​IMG]

Oh my.. :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love:

I think she either really loves you a lot, or was getting sick you taking her picture... :biggrin:
    My guess is all of the above..

BTW, I love the freckles.... but I have to ask, has Leigh ever woke up in the morning with the boys connecting the dots on her face? A friend of mine did several years ago..

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

17. Very nice series, Patrick. I agree that some PP will make them better, but they are fundamentally very good captures.

And the lovely Leigh. I didn't know that she could be ....... well....... so sexy :wink: :Love: :Whistle:

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    One thing I learned about flash, is that you must make it much more powerful when outside. Also, a generic Cloudy WB doesn't work for all situations. For instance, morning cloudy is much different from midday cloudy. You would've probably been better off with Auto -2 if you're not going to do a Pre with your Expodisk, or shoot a grey card.
    I'll tell ya, Leigh was a real sport to do all this posing for you, and she did a great job with it!
    Here's my favorite pose of Leigh from this series, tweaked with Shadow/Highlights adjustments, Dodged the whites of the eyes to brighten them, further color corrected, slight desaturation, with a small amt of Gauss Blur applied to the skin on her face for a more glamorous look, then finally, cropped to my own liking.
    Your Original:
    [​IMG]
    Tweaked:
    original.

19. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Virginia and Vince

Thanks for the comments and the tweaks. Your processing makes them look much better. Gordon called me last night and gave me some hints that were very helpful.

Dave, Paul, and Phil,

Thank you for the nice comments. Leigh is a wonderful model. Not only is she beautiful but very willing to pose for me. We had a lot of fun. I just hope she doesn't get around to posting the shots she got of me. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Steve,

I like your crop and the tweaked pp. I appreciate your help with it. We are heading out on a little adventure today and taking the boys too. I'm going to try to get some better shots and watch my WB. I'll post some more later.

Again, thanks to everyone that commented and helped me see what I need to improve on. Its very helpful and its exactly what I need to improve on this side of my photography.

Cheers,

20. Patrick
    From what I can these look very nice as others have mentioned a few WB tweaks and you are in business. You have a good foundation with this series to work on them to hone your PP skills. I know Dan White her eon the forum does a great job on portraits you might want to seek out his advice.
    BTW looks like that last shot should be Leigh's new avatar.