Attended the Nikon Z Event in Los Angeles!

JPS

No criticism taken, I was shooting with the A7III with the 35mm 1.4 Art @ 1.4 and I was still having a hard time nailing shots because it was so dim!
Do you think that if you had brought a Dxxx with you (instead of the A7III), you would have had less difficulties to nail the shots in dim light ?

Do you think that if you had brought a Dxxx with you (instead of the A7III), you would have had less difficulties to nail the shots in dim light ?
No. In general mirrorless is more accurate in low light and the A7III is no slouch. Nikon should really not do these press events in the evening and in dimly lit spots.

If I was Nikon I would of held off the announcement for about a month. It's obvious Nikon rushed this whole thing. I would of announced the 500mm PF VR in it's place instead. I then would of done a hard announcement and released production ready cameras to the press with fully accessible raw files with none of the build-up of "mirrorless reinvented."

A couple things to note: * * *
- Now that the Z6 is out, this also allows Nikon to release a proper D750 update if they decide to go that route similar to a D850 and D500. Something more akin to a true D700 follow-up.
Glad to see this because I had been wondering about the effect of the Zs on the D750's progeny. As someone who has let his kit and this lovely pastime go fallow for several seasons and for many reasons, the Z6/Z7 complicate my move to FF from the now-ancient D7000. I do hope to see a proper D750 update. That body has aged well (was it announced in 09.14?), and it will be interesting to see how the Zs and a D750 update compare. For my purposes, the availability of a true grip (with portrait shutter release, AE/AF button, multi selector, and command dials) may tip the scales heavily from the "battery pack" planned for the Z series.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Glad to see this because I had been wondering about the affect of the Zs on the D750's progeny. As someone who has let his kit and this lovely pastime go fallow for several seasons and for many reasons, the Z6/Z7 complicate my move to FF from the now-ancient D7000. I do hope to see a proper D750 update. That body has aged well (was it announced in 09.14?), and it will be interesting to see how the Zs and a D750 update compare. For my purposes, the availability of a true grip (with portrait shutter release, AE/AF button, multi selector, and command dials) may tip the scales heavily from the "battery pack" planned for the Z series.

Thanks!
They confirmed the Z cameras battery grip will have no shutter release at the event I attended. Also because the Z6 doesn't come off as a D750 replacement, that leaves Nikon with a FF DSLR gap in the $1000-2000 USD range they need to fill. A D850 with the Z6 24mp sensor seems like the easiest thing to do.

Real Name
John Van Atta
The only reason I'd buy right now is if I was either a landscape photographer or someone who needs large prints, but doesn't want the bulk of a D850
That's exactly why I'm so excited. If you're wondering "who did Nikon make this for that doesn't already own lots of F-mount glass?"...it's me!

I love the size and handling of my m43 kit, but the dynamic range and resolution often leave me with a tinge of regret. I'll be unable to resist 8k displays in a few years, too. Between my distaste for tripods and moving leaves, pixel shift hasn't been a major plus for me.

I've been considering an a7r mk2/3 as a secondary, larger system, but I'm not really happy buying into the Sony camera line. Poor handling and no weather sealing mean a lot to me, and while those could be fixed in a new body, the cramped mount can't--I think the vignetting crosses from 'nuisance' to 'problem' on the 24-105/4, for example. So in the short term the bodies don't do quite what I want, and in the long term the mount doesn't do what I want.

Then, Nikon announced a system barely bigger than my EM-1mk2+12-40/2.8, with a glorious d850-like sensor, what appears to be good handling, weather sealing, and a futureproof mount. Of course the specialty lenses don't match what's available on m43, and the 75/1.8 may never be replaceable, but I could easily see this being the only camera I need in a few years. The 24-70/4 can probably do about 60% of what I need all by itself, and based on the edge-to-edge MTF performance I'm not sure I'll find a better lens for lightweight travel/nature/landscape in the next decade.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
One of the biggest complaints about the Z release it the lack of a second card slot. If I were Nikon I would take action on this and incorporate the second XQD card into the new battery grip. I am sure that this is a possibility without major changes to the original camera design. Yes I know that the incorporation of extra connections to allow for this to happen but I feel is still possible even at this late stage.I feel this would be a smart move to make under the circumstances.
Mike

I have a different perspective and I don't see Nikon protecting their DSLR line; in fact quite the opposite. You can't replace the F-mount with a single camera release and the first Z-mount camera had to meet price and size requirements.

One of the main reasons some folks state they are switching to mirrorless is camera size thus I'm sure that influenced Nikon and the reason it isn't a full gripped camera. Given the Z camera size I would much prefer one CFExpress slot over two SD slots any day of the week. If it was a full gripped camera we'd have two CFExpress slots and that would have been sweet as I prefer full gripped bodies.

The two killer features I see the new Z cameras bring to the table besides the EVF is video and the Z-mount. If you're using a Nikon DSLR to shoot video then Z6 is a must have -- look at the video features. The Z-mount increased the edge to edge sharpness of new lens designs, too and is clearly superior to the F-mount. Just look at the lens roadmap; those are not entry level lens. They are targeting upper tier consumers and pros.

If I'm buying a new camera today; it would be a Z as the Z-Mount is clearly the future and F-Mount has about another decade or two left. It's also clear that Nikon's DSLR is still the go-to camera for sports/action as Nikon's mirrorless is not ready to dethrone the D5 yet and I'm sure a D6 is around the corner.

It was much easer for the D1 as was only replacing the film with a digital sensor. The Z is replacing the mount, optical viewfinder, and focusing module thus it's going to have to overcome all three obstacles. At least it's superior in the mount; as for the other two obstacles we'll soon know.

When the Z-mount 400mm f/2.8 is released it will surely mark the point when it is finally game over for DSLRs.

Nikon is going to improve the Z system no doubt. The only reason I'd buy right now is if I was either a landscape photographer or someone who needs large prints, but doesn't want the bulk of a D850 -or- someone who just wants to shrink their kit immediately and get something like the Z6 as a backup or lightweight travel alternative within the Nikon FF ecosystem.
For me I am primarily portrait, followed by landscape and wildlife. After using mirrorless, which I find particularly good for me who has to put on and take off reading glasses all the time with a regular DSLR (we own lots of Oly) I still want full frame and a high MP for good cropping which allows my 300F4 to be decent for animals. It also gives me a lot of flexibility for close up headshots. Being smallish makes it great for travel using the lighter lenses too. My biggest beef with Nikon has been focus issues though. So if this isn't proving really good in this area then it isn't for me. :(

Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for reporting on the event! Did they have the Z6 on hand? Hands-on experience with the Z6 is pretty hard to come by at the moment, everyone seems to have access to the Z7.

I am looking at the Z6 as a D750 replacement - but not if its just a mirrorless D750 with less capable AF...

The FTZ adapter working well with third party lenses is great news. If I am going to opt for the Z6, it’s gotta play nice with the Sigma and Tamron lenses I currently own!

...In someways part me feels Nikon should just stick with the F-mount and deal with limitations, but by doing so they can make a mirrorless DSLR with all the bells-n-whistles. I thought Nikon would build the Z cameras more aggressively, but I feel they've imposed artificial limitations to protect the DSLRs. Same strategy they used when they had the Nikon 1 system and we know how that turned out.
I look at it differently. To me, Nikon has kept the F mount limping along for 60 years. I think it is time to pull the plug and start over with a clean slate, kinda like what Canon did with EOS at the dawn of the AF era. To me, the reason to get a Z camera is to use Z lenses, which I think/hope will be considerably better than F mount lenses, esp. for wide angles. Not to mention video, which I have no interest in personally.

I don't really have an opinion on how much they are protecting DSLRs today, but I think in the long run Nikon knows mirrorless is the future simply because (everything else being equal) it is so much cheaper to build a camera without the reflex mirror. Only time will tell of course, and I'm in no hurry to get in on the ground floor, or even the second floor. But I'll will be watching with interest once real cameras, and esp the second and third wave of lenses are released in the wild.

Not on my planet!
Don't get me wrong. I have many many F mount lenses and love them all dearly. But they are SLR lenses. I want a mirrorless camera that uses lenses designed specifically to take advantage of mirrorless geometry. I see little to no advantage to using DSLR lenses with an adapter on mirrorless vs. on a high end DSLR. But that's just me.

So, you want Nikon to forsake all the rest of us, for ever, right now? Thanks.
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I don't want Nikon to forsake anyone. I'm just saying that I'm going to keep using F mount lenses on DSLRs, and if I buy into mirrorless it will be because of Z mount lenses not to use adapted F mount lenses. Everyone else can make their own decisions about what works best for them.

Well, you did say this:

And I'm simply pulling your chain for that :LOL::D Nikon won't listen to you, any more than they will listen to me. I'm just counting on them being around with an f-mount for the rest of my life.
I get that now. That was specifically regarding Jonathan saying Nikon should stick with the F mount for mirrorless and deal with the limitations. I'm glad they choose a new mount for mirrorless, I didn't mean they should stop all work on F mount today. But I do think in the long run economics will in fact kill off the DSLR, and with it F mount. How long that will take I have no idea.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
OK, I understand the excitement about a new toy...
But one serious question: What can a mirrorless camera do better than a DSLR?

Please don't be mad about me
Klaus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom