Attended the Nikon Z Event in Los Angeles!

.......One of my main concerns is that this purchase will need to last me another 6 or 7 years as my D700 has which means I'm not in a position to purchase the Z6 only to upgrade in a few years to it's replacement.

What would you folks suggest? Am i simply over thinking this and spending too much time reading first impressions reviews?
Personally, I would sit tight for the time being, until real world experiences of trusted forum users starts to be shared.

One of my main concerns is that this purchase will need to last me another 6 or 7 years as my D700 has which means I'm not in a position to purchase the Z6 only to upgrade in a few years to it's replacement.

What would you folks suggest? Am i simply over thinking this and spending too much time reading first impressions reviews?

As background i currently have for lenses a 24-70 F2.8 / 70-200 F2.8 / 85 F1.8 / 50 F1.8 which have done me well up to this point.
I think either would fit your longevity requirements. What's more important is the lens, and looks like you have a nice set of lens. Z6 would be FX while the D500 would be DX thus I'm not sure I would go with the D500 as it would change the FOV of your lens. Going with Z allows allows for newer Z-mount lens and options; however, I suspect the F-mount will continued to be supported for decades.

The question is will a DX body meed your requirements?

Hoping you folks might be able to help me in my indecision. I put down a pre-order on the Z6 and FTZ adapter the day after the announcement in the hopes of replacing my D700 (owned since new). However, after reading the concerns listed above as well as those mentioned on various other sites and youtube videos I'm not so sure any more. 90% of what is shoot is photos of my family (mostly my two young boys) with the other 10% being general vacation photos so i don't need the most robust feature set. If i was to cancel my pre-order i would be purchasing a D500 due to the similar price point. One of my main concerns is that this purchase will need to last me another 6 or 7 years as my D700 has which means I'm not in a position to purchase the Z6 only to upgrade in a few years to it's replacement.

As background i currently have for lenses a 24-70 F2.8 / 70-200 F2.8 / 85 F1.8 / 50 F1.8 which have done me well up to this point.
Honestly I'd wait it out a bit and wait for real world reviews and possibly a few firmware updates. Fuji is well known to have improved their cameras vastly from first release and I can see Nikon working hard to make sure the Z cameras will be top notch performers especially with stiff FF mirrorless competition from Sony and also from Canon and even Panasonic!

Hoping you folks might be able to help me in my indecision. I put down a pre-order on the Z6 and FTZ adapter the day after the announcement in the hopes of replacing my D700 (owned since new). However, after reading the concerns listed above as well as those mentioned on various other sites and youtube videos I'm not so sure any more. 90% of what is shoot is photos of my family (mostly my two young boys) with the other 10% being general vacation photos so i don't need the most robust feature set. If i was to cancel my pre-order i would be purchasing a D500 due to the similar price point. One of my main concerns is that this purchase will need to last me another 6 or 7 years as my D700 has which means I'm not in a position to purchase the Z6 only to upgrade in a few years to it's replacement.

Curious what is was about the Z6 you found so attractive? It seems to me a D750 would be the obvious update to a D700.

Curious what is was about the Z6 you found so attractive? It seems to me a D750 would be the obvious update to a D700.
The general features i was looking for were:
  • Approx. 24MP for the increased ability to crop when needed and for printing. Also still able to be handled by my current computer.
  • A higher (9 or more) fps rate - as it will be a long term body I foresee the want to shoot some of my children's sports activities.
  • Reasonable mid range (1600>) ISO performance.
  • Ability to take 4K video - while this isn't my main focus it would be a nice to have.
  • Around the $2,500 CDN price point

What drew me to mirrorless specifically was the above coupled with the size. In the recent past the size and weight of a large DSLR which is often gripped has been a hinderance to its use. It is simply too difficult to carry around while wrangling to boys under 3.

The general features i was looking for were:
  • Approx. 24MP for the increased ability to crop when needed and for printing. Also still able to be handled by my current computer.
  • A higher (9 or more) fps rate - as it will be a long term body I foresee the want to shoot some of my children's sports activities.
  • Reasonable mid range (1600>) ISO performance.
  • Ability to take 4K video - while this isn't my main focus it would be a nice to have.
  • Around the $2,500 CDN price point

What drew me to mirrorless specifically was the above coupled with the size. In the recent past the size and weight of a large DSLR which is often gripped has been a hinderance to its use. It is simply too difficult to carry around while wrangling to boys under 3.
If your current lens lineup aren't all AF-S types (as AF-D and older lenses will be manual focus with the adaptor as far as I understand; I may be wrong) and you're concerned about going to mirrorless then I would opt for a D750. Yes, it might be a few years old tech now but I think it's a great camera. I use a D700 and D750 for all types of events - concerts, plays, sports-both indoor and out. The ISO of the D750 is great as far as I'm concerned and 1600 is no problem. As far as video; I'm not enamoured of that in a dslr. I tried it with my D7000 when I got it and, to be perfectly frank, I'd rather get a dedicated video camera.

If your current lens lineup aren't all AF-S types (as AF-D and older lenses will be manual focus with the adaptor as far as I understand; I may be wrong) and you're concerned about going to mirrorless then I would opt for a D750. Yes, it might be a few years old tech now but I think it's a great camera. I use a D700 and D750 for all types of events - concerts, plays, sports-both indoor and out. The ISO of the D750 is great as far as I'm concerned and 1600 is no problem. As far as video; I'm not enamoured of that in a dslr. I tried it with my D7000 when I got it and, to be perfectly frank, I'd rather get a dedicated video camera.
All of my lenses are AF-S which contributed to my quick pre-order decision.

In that case, I don't think you can go wrong with either a D750 or the Z6/FTZ combo. I'd still go with a dedicated video camera for videos rather than use a dslr.

In that case, I don't think you can go wrong with either a D750 or the Z6/FTZ combo. I'd still go with a dedicated video camera for videos rather than use a dslr.
I would put it this way: I don't think you could go wrong with a D750 today. That's what I'd do in your situation, but I have no interest in being an early adopter of anything. There is a lot to be excited about with the Z6/FTZ but if this is a camera to which you're committing for the next several years I'd want to see real life results from production models, esp. with the adapter, before I buy in. With that said if you get an early delivery you'll have the option of trying it out yourself and if you don't like it quickly reselling it, likely at a profit. So with that caveat I don't think you can go wrong sticking with your pre-order.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Jonathan I have come to realize that what is the most important factor for me is actually the quality of the EV Viewfinder, and since you shoot Sony and I have tried the A9:
  • How would you compare the A9 vs Z7 viewfinder?
  • More importantly how do you compare the EVF of the Z7 to the optical viewfinder of a D800/D800e/D810/D850. Many of us are not used to EVF's and I think this might come as quite a shock if they are not up to par for our standards.

Last edited:
Andreas, that is something about which I've been thinking more and more, too -- the quality of the EVF and this is going to be a major factor in my eventual final decision between the Sony A7 III and the Sony A7R III..... I have yet to handle either camera, though, but have been doing a lot of reading and thinking. I love my other Sony cameras and have been leaning in the direction of Sony mirrorless for several months now. For various reasons I have already ruled out the new Nikon Zs and will sit back and watch over the next few months as users start putting them to work and showing us the results.

I would put it this way: I don't think you could go wrong with a D750 today. That's what I'd do in your situation, but I have no interest in being an early adopter of anything. There is a lot to be excited about with the Z6/FTZ but if this is a camera to which you're committing for the next several years I'd want to see real life results from production models, esp. with the adapter, before I buy in. With that said if you get an early delivery you'll have the option of trying it out yourself and if you don't like it quickly reselling it, likely at a profit. So with that caveat I don't think you can go wrong sticking with your pre-order.
Thank you. I hadn’t considered the ability to sell quickly due to short supply.

Jonathan I have come to realize that what is the most important factor for me is actually the quality of the EV Viewfinder, and since you shoot Sony and I have tried the A9:
  • How would you compare the A9 vs Z7 viewfinder?
  • More importantly how do you compare the EVF of the Z7 to the optical viewfinder of a D800/D800e/D810/D850. Many of us are not used to EVF's and I think this might come as quite a shock if they are not up to par for our standards.
Depends what you're shooting. EVFs work fine in most decent lighting conditions, but in extreme low light for example EVFs may suffer from refresh choppiness or even mild slow down. I haven't used a Sony MILC yet that does as well as an Olympus EVF (which I consider to be the best for viewing) when it comes to low light acuity. The Nikon Z EVF is equal to Olympus' implementation (the EVFs from the Nikon 1 system were very good as well). I don't own an A9, but I presume it's a bit better than my A7III though I don't think it's any different from the rest of the Sony line.

This is partially the reason I still keep a DSLR kit, especially for things like flash photography. You just can't beat an OVF for certain things. EVFs are also terrible in contrasty conditions like trying to shoot in early morning sunlight with heavy contrasting shadows from trees or buildings. EVFs are constantly getting better, but you're basically viewing an interpretation of reality (EVF) versus actually seeing reality (OVF) if you get my drift. ;)

Andreas, that is something about which I've been thinking more and more, too -- the quality of the EVF and this is going to be a major factor in my eventual final decision between the Sony A7 III and the Sony A7R III..... I have yet to handle either camera, though, but have been doing a lot of reading and thinking. I love my other Sony cameras and have been leaning in the direction of Sony mirrorless for several months now. For various reasons I have already ruled out the new Nikon Zs and will sit back and watch over the next few months as users start putting them to work and showing us the results.
The A7R III EVF is supposedly better, but I have no problem using the EVF on the A7 III. It's much better than the one on the A7 II, despite people saying it hasn't improved. It's just a bit more punchier and brighter.

Thanks, Jonathan! Ahem....you (and your eyes) are a lot younger than I am and since one of my main interests with the new camera body and lens(es) will be shooting macro, I really will want an outstanding EVF since I will need to shoot in manual focus a lot of the time. Still mulling everything over and of course what will happen in the end is the decision made following the time when I am in a store able to handle both cameras with the relevant lens(es)!

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
If you are shooting macros using the back screen is IMHO better than the evf....

Thanks, Jonathan! Ahem....you (and your eyes) are a lot younger than I am and since one of my main interests with the new camera body and lens(es) will be shooting macro, I really will want an outstanding EVF since I will need to shoot in manual focus a lot of the time. Still mulling everything over and of course what will happen in the end is the decision made following the time when I am in a store able to handle both cameras with the relevant lens(es)!

Last edited:
Thanks, Andreas! There is that, too, using a tripod to do the macro shot, and definitely the LCD screen would be more useful in composition and final firing of the shutter...... I don’t always use a tripod and, yes, that is something else I will need to consider with my next purchase, what kind of Arca-Swiss plate to get and use with my current tripod and ball head (Gitzo tripod, RRS ball head).

Something else I think I will need to explore is this whole “focus stacking” thing....

Yep! Once I have actually made the camera body purchase and at least one or two lenses for starters, then I'll be getting on the RRS site and ordering the right plate that I'll need..... Since I am not planning to use the new camera with long lenses and such, no need to worry a lot about putting it on the Wimberly and using it with the gimbal.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom