Attention Cat Lovers!

I did a little research on the flower I snapped this afternoon, and was surprised to find the ASPCA has the Orange Day Lily (Hemorocallis
graminea
) on their list of poisonous plants. The only species known to be affected by it are cats, in which it can cause "vomiting,
inappetence, lethargy, and kidney failure."

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I posted this on DPR, and received the following confirmation from a Brit:

The lily became a major talking point for the radio news in the UK a few weeks ago due to its toxicity amongst the feline quarter.

It was suggested that should a cat brush against a lily and get some of the pollen on its coat - the cat would be irritated by that pollen, try to
clean itself, then fall foul of the toxin within the lily's pollen, then suffer kidney failure with a resultant painful death - unless treated early enough!

So for all cat lovers - DO NOT BRING LILY'S INTO YOUR HOUSE!!!!

Hey Frank,

Thanks for the heads up on that one!. We don't have such flowers, but you'd never know if/when somebody brings them as a gift :shock::lol: They are, and your specimen is, very beautiful. From the EXIF, at 70mm, it was probably taken with the Beast, huh? :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom