Attention Rawshooter users (technical question)

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pa, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I have been using Rawshooter Essentials (RSE) since I got my D70 in early April, and I like it. However, I am mystified by one thing: when I look at RAW images in the RSE slide show or the "Correcting" window, they look extremely sharp and detailed. After conversion to jpeg, they lose much of this sharpness and just look bland.

What are we looking at in the RSE preview screen? It can't be the jpeg preview. Is there any way to preserve that appearance? If I could just capture what I see in the RSE preview without any PP in most cases, I would be very happy.

I don't notice this effect in Photoshop CS or Nikon Capture. The previews there look just like the jpeg.

There is, of course, no way to illustrate what I mean, since anything posted here has to be jpeg.

Any ideas?

2. I have no idea... Maybe you can click the "auto sharpen" box (something like that if I remember well). Also, save in TIFF 16 bit. This might help.

All I know is I hate that program. Colors are bad, K temp. is about 2000K off (what's 5000 in PS is 7000 in RSE, what's up with that?).

The only thing that's good about it is the speed... which I don't need if everyhting else is not really good.

That program is so terrible IMHO that I instantly recognize pics which we're processed with it. Same greenish color and overall carachter.

This was just my opinion and please don't take my opinions for cash. I'm often wrong and very different, anyways :D . Hey, I'm a part of the world's mosaic, right?

Regards!

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Pa,

Upon your suggestion elsewhere, I downloaded RSE and gave it a try. I've been using NC for some 8 months now, and am quite pleased with it - except for the speed. That is also why I tried RSE.

I must say that I agree with the others. I tried to convert some 100 pictures I took at a camp fire. WB and colors were totally off. RSE also offers very limited ways to make things better.

In the end I gave up on RSE and processed the pictures in NC.

Maybe I missed some "hidden" features of RSE, or didn't do it right. But the results were not to my liking.

If you haven't got NC, you could try the 30 day free trial. You may like it too.

I'm sorry I can't help you find a solution to your problem with RSE, except for recommending another software.

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Sorry, I would love to jump on the bandwagon here, but I think RSE is fantastic.

I guess I will have to live with my greenish pics (all 500 of them, done and ready for printing) while NC is still processing your first image, and crashing your pc.

If someone is new to post processing I would NEVER reccommend NC, just like if someone was new to shooting I wouldn't put a D2X in their hands and send them off. And this is NOT to say that NC is the pinnacle of software as the D2X is, just that is its similarly complex, cumbersome and heavy on the resources.

PA, make sure your batch convert tab has apply sharpeneing checked. I simply would not use RSE for everything, process the raw in RSE output a 16bit tiff from that to phoptoshop, then use photoshop for your final sharpening, and Dr. Browns Image processor for JPG conversion.

6. Glad to see I'm not the only RSE fan. I wonder if those who dislike it so much have tried the most recent version (1.1.3 build 15), which is much improved over earlier versions. I intend to do some comparison conversions again and post the results here, but unfortunately my 30-day free trial of NC has expired and they want $100 for me to use it again. At least I can compare RSE and ACR in Photoshop CS. I'll try to get to that tomorrow.

Twig, thanks for the suggestion of saving as 16-bit tiff before PP in Photoshop. I intend to try that.

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Twig, I agree that NC is not the pinnacle of software. Recent reports on problems with AMD-64 DEP and P4 Hyperthreading just underline that Nikon is not #1 in software stability and interoperability. Speed - as I mentioned before - is also not NCs virtue.

I think Nikon should have thrown in NC as part of the software supplied with their DSLR cameras (together with NikonView), and terminated PictureProject. Without NC, some of the camera features such as custom curves are just not available. And I believe this would improve their position versus Canon and other competitors.

As for RAW conversion and tweaking I do find NC superior over other options I tried, including RSE. However, I trust you compared both NC and RSE and have good reasons to recommend RSE. Today I did some test shots to evaluate a custom curve and some other in-camera settings and will run them through both NC and RSE - perhaps I will also find a liking to RSE?

Thanks Pa for mentioning the RSE update - I'll check to see what I have and upgrade if necessary.

8. Pa, I, too, had my trial version of NC run out. When the sReala curve was made available I was disappointed to learn you had to have NC to download it. Just on a chance, I tried to download NC once again.......and to my surprise, it worked. Give it a try.

9. I tried it last night. Downloaded and installed fine, but when I tried to start it, the "Trial" button was grayed out. Have to have a license.

I'll probably try it on my laptop when I find time to dump some other programs from it. It's getting too loaded.

But it better be good to justify another $100!

10. RSE vs. ACR comparison

I converted a RAW file with Photoshop CS using the ACR plugin, Nikon Capture 4.2.1, and Rawshooter Essentials 1.1.3. I made NO adjustments to the picture with either - just straight conversion to jpeg. I'm not going to say which is which. You guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. I'll play! I say #1 is PS, #2 is RSE, and that leaves #3 to NC. Do I win anything?

12. I'll wait until several guesses are posted before revealing the answer. Sorry, no prizes (except prestige?). :lol:

13. Did you get the sharpness issue in RSE sorted out?

14. No. Any suggestions?

15. Nope, other than to make sure the update sharpening is set for the batch updates. I will take a look at it but will not get a chance until Sunday.

16. I'm sure that is properely set. When you use Rawshooter do you see a significant difference between the RAW viewer window and the final jpeg?

17. Okay, I just tried RSE 1.1.3 where I converted a NEF using the default sharpening and the JPG looks the same to me.

I did notice, on the batch tab, that there is a check box to apply sharpening - I'm assuming you have that checked.

All I can say is it is working for me. I just converted this photo using RSE - this is a 1:1 pixel crop with no adjustments in photoshop other than cropping and conversion to sRGB- it looks just like the 100% view of the NEF in RSE. I know it isn't perfectly sharp, but given it was taken at 700mm and 1/6s it is pretty good.

18. I agree, it is pretty darn good.

I don't know why it is, and there is no way to illustrate it online, but the Rawshooter slide show always show NEF files to look far sharper on the screen than any jpeg produced by any programs I have tried.