Audie Murphy

He died 50 years ago today in a plane crash on Brush Mountain, Montgomery County, Virginia. The spot is only about 10 miles from my house as the Crow flies.

Yesterday we took our Thursday hiking group on the Appalachian Trail where there is a monument about 300 feet from the crash site. We gathered around while one of the members read a newspaper account of the crash.

_Z505575_M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_Z505574.jpg

The mountain laurel are in full bloom now
_Z505580.jpg

Through-hikers call Virginia "The Green Tunnel"

_Z505589.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for looking, folks. If any of you are ever down this way, I'll be happy to guide you to it.

We encountered 8 or 10 through-hikers in our brief time on the trail. It's that time!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Glad your hiking group is back to hitting the trails! Audie Murphy has been my hero since my early childhood days. Wonderful patriot and person. I'm glad he is being remembered on this Memorial Day weekend.

I watch his movies all the time on one of my cable stations. Audie Murphy was the most decorated soldier in WWII. A true hero and an early advocate for treating PTSD which was called battle fatigue at the time. It's both ironic and a tragedy that after all the harrowing experiences he went through that he was killed in a light plane crash in Virginia. I fully agree with Rick; it's nice to see that a monument to a true hero hasn't been defaced.

I agree that it's nice there has been no vandalism. But it's not exactly easy to get to. You have to drive about four miles up a rough and rutted dirt Forest Service road and then hike about a mile on mountain trails. I don't think its location is well known.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom