Audio Monitor D7000

Real Name
Michael
My son is using the D7000 to shoot some video and he will be using a shotgun microphone (Sennheiser MKE 400) mounted on the hot shoe. However, apparently the A/V output jack does not support audio monitoring. Plugging in headphones delivers horrendous video noise and when you try splitting the signal, you get nothing. The way he has figured to do it is to convert the mini-jack mic INPUT to XLR using a unit like the DXA-5DA Professional XLR Adapter for DSLR Cameras.

This seems to me both expensive and clunky adding more hardware to the package. Eventually you might just as well use a regular video cam.

Does anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this more simply than adding the XLR converter?

The way I've been taught by people using dslr's professionally is run your audio into a Zoom H4N or Marantz 661 and then run the line out from that into the camera via a step down cable to lower the audio level to a usable level that won't damage the camera.

so:

Shotgun Mic>Zoom>control levels>splitter

split 1>headphones for monitoring
split 2>step down pad cable>line in on DSLR

allows you to get near perfect audio to the camera and monitor it and control it.

simple answer, I have no idea. run a shotgun mic, put it in auto levels and hope for the best (not much). that DXA or items like it are clunkier and don't give you a backup like using the above zoom does as it records audio as well.

This seems to me both expensive and clunky adding more hardware to the package. Eventually you might just as well use a regular video cam.

Actually, you might as well use a separate recorder - most people don't feed the audio into the camera at all while shooting. Plug the shotgun mic (or any mic for that matter) into an H4N and then the audio is separate and can be edited easily - once that's done, combine it with the footage in your NLE software. Plural Eyes is a neat application for lining them up in post.

I've been working on some projects where we're using several external mics at once and we keep each mic's audio separate until we're in post production. If we were to combine the audio and try to feed it into the camera durng filming, the mix would be "baked" and we couldn't adjust it later.

Sean

Real Name
Michael
Thank you Brett and Sean. Very good suggestions. I'll pass them on to my son. Believe me, I could not figure this one out myself. I've never even used the video on any of my cameras. Thanks, guys.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom