Aurora Borealis

Also known as the Northern Lights

It's 4:20 am here right now. I just took this pictures 45 minutes ago. It was an incredible sight. I've only seen it a few times in my life. Some pictures may seem a little fuzzy, it was quite windy tonight.

All were taken with D70 and kit lens F3.5 @ 30 sec.

DSC_2685.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_2688.jpg

DSC_2689.jpg

DSC_2691.jpg

DSC_2696.jpg

DSC_2697.jpg

Z

Zulu-

That is a nive capture, and a rare view too...

Thanks for sharing..

J

jkamphof

Nice shots. I remember living in Edmonton for a few years and catching these incredible night-shows in the sky. Nice to capture them for memories sake.

Joel.

Beautiful. I used to know the science behind those, but it's been too long ago now to remember. That must be a spectacular view in person.

JessP7 said:
Beautiful. I used to know the science behind those, but it's been too long ago now to remember. That must be a spectacular view in person.
The sun gives off high-energy charged particles (also called ions) that travel out into space at speeds of 300 to 1200 kilometres per second. A cloud of such particles is called a plasma. The stream of plasma coming from the sun is known as the solar wind. As the solar wind interacts with the edge of the earth's magnetic field, some of the particles are trapped by it and they follow the lines of magnetic force down into the ionosphere, the section of the earth's atmosphere that extends from about 60 to 600 kilometres above the earth's surface. When the particles collide with the gases in the ionosphere they start to glow, producing the spectacle that we know as the auroras, northern and southern. The array of colours consists of red, green, blue and violet.

Johnny,

Thank you for sharing this beautiful sight, and the science of it as well.

Good job.

Wow, that's so cool! Thanks for sharing. I've always wanted to see that in person, but I suppose your pics are probably the closest I'll get for a while...

Thanks, Johnny,

I remember seeing the Northern Lights (same green patterns as in your pictures, though the colors can vary) one summer in Homer, Alaska a long time ago. Your pictures took me back to that night.

It is hard to convey, in a small image, the size and grandeur of these displays. But your pictures call that memory up in my mind, for which I thank you!

Beautiful, Neeper. Apparently they make quite a sound too on a still quiet night. Have to head north to see some one day and try to capture.

Latest threads

Top Bottom