Autism Awareness Day - Please Read This

Dawn,
As the father of an Autistic son, I thank you for posting the infomation you have. You're right, many people jump to conclusions about behaviors they know nothing about and do little to understand.

This is my son Christian. He is almost 15 now and was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years old. He is one of the most sincere, loving people you would ever want to meet, however most people don't ever take the time to get to know him.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R

redbike

The organization I work for provides amongst other things, skilled Service Dogs for these special children. The dogs provide safety and security for the child and family, reduce stress and meltdown behaviours, help with transitions and for many of these kids, their dog is their first and maybe only friend.

DSC_6265 by redbike2013, on Flickr

This little tyke is a perfect example - when we started working with him, he would have nothing to do with his dog, but as you can see, things have changed. The family is relieved because they can now turn their back on their child with less worry. You may remark on the fact that the child is looking straight at the camera. Again, you would not have found that when the child first started working with us.

Dan, thanks for bumping this thread! :)

John, service dogs are awesome! Bravo for your work with them and the children they serve!

Thanks for your comments, Paul & Fred! Paul, Christian's a good looking boy, and it's unfortunate that most people don't take the time to get to know him. I can only hope that changes over time. For those who DO get to know him, their lives will be changed for the better.

As an update for everyone, the CDC now reports the autism rate is 1 in 88. Autism is everywhere, and chances are it's closer to you than you think.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to learn about autism, and helping to spread the word!

My son is autistic. He is very interested in the weather and usually watching a local weather channel. During the Superbowl hoopla he met his favorite meteorologist, I thought he'd surely explode with excitement. He was invited to tour the studio and what an amazing day that was for him. Only downside is that he now talks to us, with the little speech he does have, like a newscaster. That's somewhat of an upgrade though, before it was always like a football ref.

He's also, like me, interested in music. Elton John is his favorite. For Christmas I got him a copy of "Madman Across the Water" he opened it, handed it back and said e didn't want it, much too old" he said. I kept it for myself, got him the "60" cd and DVD and he puts on a concert almost daily.

I wouldn't trade him for anything.

My son is autistic. He is very interested in the weather and usually watching a local weather channel. During the Superbowl hoopla he met his favorite meteorologist, I thought he'd surely explode with excitement. He was invited to tour the studio and what an amazing day that was for him. Only downside is that he now talks to us, with the little speech he does have, like a newscaster. That's somewhat of an upgrade though, before it was always like a football ref.

He's also, like me, interested in music. Elton John is his favorite. For Christmas I got him a copy of "Madman Across the Water" he opened it, handed it back and said e didn't want it, much too old" he said. I kept it for myself, got him the "60" cd and DVD and he puts on a concert almost daily.

He sounds wonderful.

The organization I work for provides amongst other things, skilled Service Dogs for these special children. The dogs provide safety and security for the child and family, reduce stress and meltdown behaviours, help with transitions and for many of these kids, their dog is their first and maybe only friend.

[URL]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/6893207722_3257d67a30_b.jpg[/url]
DSC_6265 by redbike2013, on Flickr

This little tyke is a perfect example - when we started working with him, he would have nothing to do with his dog, but as you can see, things have changed. The family is relieved because they can now turn their back on their child with less worry. You may remark on the fact that the child is looking straight at the camera. Again, you would not have found that when the child first started working with us.
That's fantastic. My son is also afraid of dogs... well actually most animals. Not that they are goin to hurt him, just that they are unpredictable and that makes him really uneasy.

Sounds like a great organization.

Thank you Dawn for bringing this up. Well said. My son too has autism. It is quite a game changer in the parenting arena. He has been diagnosed for 14 years now and is an incredible young man who is on track to graduate next year from high school with a modified diploma.
Your simple pleasures story of the strawberry moved me. I know exactly what you are saying. My son has said " I love you" only twice in his life. Not because love is lacking, but as you may know, it's difficult to grasp and process intangibles verbally. I heard him and almost fell to the floor.
Best wishes and thanks again.

I had to laugh about the weather part...my son's favorite thing at Epcot is Storm Struck, which is a Weather Channel 3D attraction about severe weather. :biggrin:

He loves maps, and has an amazing memory for routes we take in the car, even after the very first time. At least I never have to worry about him getting lost.

Despite all of the challenges of autism, our kids are still wonderful and amazing, aren't they? :Love:

Thank you Dawn for bringing this up. Well said. My son too has autism. It is quite a game changer in the parenting arena. He has been diagnosed for 14 years now and is an incredible young man who is on track to graduate next year from high school with a modified diploma.
Your simple pleasures story of the strawberry moved me. I know exactly what you are saying. My son has said " I love you" only twice in his life. Not because love is lacking, but as you may know, it's difficult to grasp and process intangibles verbally. I heard him and almost fell to the floor.
Best wishes and thanks again.

I'm so glad he's doing well! I do understand about intangibles, and what a wonderful feeling you get when he says something you hadn't expected him to be able to come out with (especially something like "I love you"). There's nothing better than those moments! :smile:

My son will say "I love you" but mostly it's a learned response. I don't think he really grasps it, either. What he will do is say "Mommy" and hug me, and that says it all. :Love:

And as for autism being a parenting game-changer...oh, yes, in so many ways! :eek: Sure does keep life interesting, though.

He sounds wonderful.
I had to laugh about the weather part...my son's favorite thing at Epcot is Storm Struck, which is a Weather Channel 3D attraction about severe weather. :biggrin:

He loves maps, and has an amazing memory for routes we take in the car, even after the very first time. At least I never have to worry about him getting lost.

Despite all of the challenges of autism, our kids are still wonderful and amazing, aren't they? :Love:
Thank you both, this is Owen.

Here's another, but, I didn't know that it was the best picture to post here. I took him to a fall festival last year and he met a couple of girls from Hooters. A lot of the other guys were getting their pictures taken with them so I pushed him on up. He still has that grin on his face.

http://www.candidi.com/Family/Family/i-xMV6RSv/0/L/Beech-Grove-Fall-Festival-2011-L.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom