Auto Focus (AF)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by secretmachines, Aug 28, 2008.

1. secretmachines

secretmachines

Jun 6, 2008
    UK
    hi all,

can anyone tell me which Nikon models do/don't have AF in the body of the camera?

I recently bought a D60 and love it although the only thing I would change would be to have AF in the body of the camera rather than being limited to AF in lenses I buy.

I'm recommending a friend to buy a Nikon DSLR and thought that having AF in the body of the camera would give them more flexibility in the future?

2. To the best of my knowledge, they all have an AF switch except for the D40/x and D60. All the D1's, D2's, D3, D50, D70's, D80, D100, D200, D300, and D700 have an AF motor built in them.

God Bless,
    David

3. That's right. All models (including the new D90) except for the 40/x and 60 have internal screw drives to focus lenses.

However, your question implies that you'd like to use lenses on your D60 that you can't because of this issue. Be aware that there are other compatabliilty concerns depending on the lens that you want to use.

For example, the D80 can't meter on some lenses that the D300 can...etc...

What specific lens do you want to use?

4. secretmachines

secretmachines

Jun 6, 2008
    UK
    thanks for the replies guys!

there's no particular lens i'm after, a friend is looking to get a DSLR (for the first time), so I wanted suggest a camera with a motor built in to the body, so the variety of lenses available to buy is greater.

i have a d60 and love it, but the only thing i may do differently if buying again, would be to get a body with an AF motor built-in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.