Auto ISO problem with D2x

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by SRA, Oct 27, 2005.

1. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Auto ISO functions correctly in every mode except Program. Program mode is probably the setting where I would apply this option most often.

I have Thom Hogan's D2x guide and he mentions that it only works in program when 30 seconds is reached as a shutter speed. Well, I worked it past said 30 seconds in Program mode and the ISO always stays on my operator setting of 100 ISO. All other modes have no problem with applying the Auto ISO liberally.

In fact I tested this setting on my D70s and found functioning perfect in every mode under many different conditions.

Out of frustration I set the D70s next to the D2x for a little happy karma. No dice.

Any adivce is greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well even if it did kick in at 30 seconds that would still be pretty much useless. BTW I believe it's not just Program mode, but also Aperture Priority if I recall correctly from Thom's ebook. It really is a shame they don't allow you to set the shutter speed it kick in at, I mean if they could let you do it on the D70 why not the D2x?

3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    IMHO Auto ISO is designed to be used in "M" mode, where you control both aperture for DoF and shutter speed for shake manually, while camera choose appropriate film speed :)

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I use auto-ISO in manual mode often, and prefer it over the D70's auto-ISO.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. As far as i know it also works in s mode.
    I have used it with my d2h at concertshooting, so i assume it also works on the d2x

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My 2x will auto-ISO from 100 to 800.

That is why I don't use auto-ISO in any mode but M. There are not many lenses I would want to shoot with wide open, except some of my fast primes on ocassion. But most zooms which most people use do not fare well wide open.
    See above for auto-ISO range of 2x. I prefer the high limit of ISO800, because above that I am going to get really picky about everything to keep noise at a minimum.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Paul,

I'm not sure I can explain this well, but I will give it a go.:wink: I am going to start with the simple stuff, just so I can keep myself straight so don't take it the wrong way.:smile:

When you normally shoot in A or S mode with the ISO as a user selection (ie. not auto), the camera only has one thing to control exposure. If you add auto-ISO now it has two things to control exposure with. My opinion is that this can cause a problem where the camera may get confused and choose a bad exposure setting.

When I use auto-ISO in M mode I set shutter speed to help with camera shake for the focal lenght. I set the aperture for DOF and creative control of the image. The camera adjusts only the ISO to try to get the correct exposure. Less chance of a conflict.

In the end it all comes down to what method you feel most comfortable with and still get the shot.

(Not everyone has fast zooms.:wink: )

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Could be, not sure.:wink:

I know, just trying to help.:smile:

Bed time.

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't see anything confusing about it. The camera will bump ISO as a last resort. That means that in S-mode, the camera will open the aperture as much as possible before raising the ISO. In A-Mode, the camera will use the slowest shutter speed possible before raising the ISO. The problem with the D2x is that in A-Mode the slowest shutter speed is 30secs, which is completely worthless. On the D70, I can configure the slowest shutter speed to be whatever I want. That's an advantage over the D2x any way you look at it.

Ahh but that's just it. With the D70, you don't have to shoot wide open with auto-ISO, you can use Aperture priority to set the aperture to what you want. For instance if I want to shoot Aperture Priority at f/2.0 with my f/1.4 prime, I can tell the D70 to keep the shutter speed at 1/60 or faster and bump the ISO if necessary.

The limitation of using Auto-ISO in M mode is that you've only got a 4-stop exposure range, because your shutter speed and aperture are fixed unless you want to be constantly metering and fiddling with the manual exposure settings.

I don't disagree with you and Iliah that in many cases M mode makes more sense than the others, but that doesn't make the D2x's Auto-ISO better than the D70's. After all you can just as easily do that with the D70. But there are some cases where M mode is not the best choice and in those cases the D70 has an option that makes Auto-ISO more flexible than the D2x; it's just a shame that the flagship camera is actually less capable in this regard.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I never said it was. I don't like the D70 because you can't limit the ISO, while others don't like the 2x setup because you can't limit shutter speed. Different strokes for different folks.:smile:

The best thing would be sub settings in auto-ISO. Minimum aperture in S mode. Minimum shutter in A mode. High ISO limit for all modes. But that would make to much sense.

17. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think the difference in ISO limits is just a matter of the normal ISO range of the D70 being 200-1600 while the normal range of the D2x is 100-800 with HI-1 and HI-2. Agree I'd wouldn't want HI-1 part of Auto-ISO on the D2x (maybe ISO 1000 would be nice though) but IMHO the D70's ISO 1600 is better than HI-1 on the D2x.

Agreed.