Auto ISO Question ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StuSimmo, Apr 15, 2005.

1. I have been using the auto ISO function when using A and S but I am wondering if it works in manual mode ???

For example, I was shooting rally cars and wanted in a lot of shots a fast shutter speed to freeze the action. Even with a 80-200 with 1.4 on a sunny day I was getting 1/1600 and f2.8. I would love to have been able to shoot at 1/1600 but at f4 or f5.6. Would autoiso have coped and upped the iso ????

I will try but wondered if anyone knows the answer, and, does it vary for models ?? I have the D100

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    afaik, it doesn't apply to Manual setting

If it's Manual, then you manually choose every setting for the camera yourself, the camera doesn't make any decisions for you.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Stu & Steve,

Auto ISO does work in M mode, and the way it works is cool. You set the A and the S (it is manual mode after all....;-)), and the metering system adjusts the ISO setting to get the exposure right. You can even use the EV Comp to tweak the results.

I've used this set-up quite a bit and it works well.

Frank

4. Frank,

It's possible that Auto ISO doesn't work the same on the D100 though -- I'm assuming you're talking about the D70. On the D70, it works like you say, and I use it that way very often in low light situations (although I do often switch to full manual w/ specific 1/3-stop step ISO if the lighting doesn't change on me). I seem to recall that even the D2H doesn't behave exactly the same as the D70 when using Auto ISO, but I forget the details now -- might just be the fact that D2H has multiple banks for setting Auto ISO (and other custom settings). And don't know about the D2Hs and D2X either. :D

_Man_

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Man,

I was specifically talking about the D2H. I've used auto ISO on the D70 but it has been a long while. My description was for the D2H behavior. I should have noted that. 8)

Frank

6. billT

billT Guest

Yes it does work on Manual on the D2H, but one has to be careful with it. I got burnt once -- I forgot and left the AUTO ISO on. I went to a model shoot, and had ot use M because of the studio strobes. What a disaster. Every shot was over exposed and it took me a while to figure out why. This is due to my inexperience and not the fault of the camera of course.

BillT.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yep, I just tested it on my D100. Auto iso works as advertised. But just ISO 200 to 1600. It won't use HI-1 or HI-2. If you watch the meter while changing shutter or aperture, you can tell when you're in the auto-zone because even though the parameters change, the meter stays on zero.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ooops, sry guys, for spreading misinformation

Thought Auto ISO didn't work in Manual mode. Learn something new every day!