Auto lighting setup??

I assist a professional automotive journalist on occasion. For location shots, we've used available light, speedlights all the way to big strobes and generators. It all depends on how much you want to spend as well as how much gear you can lug around and get setup.

Well i was thinking of a 3 or 4 light setup.
on on camera and 2 or 3 around the car.
Im not really sure what is best and what i would need. It would be for people trying to get their cars in modified car magazines.
So i don't really know if strobes, speedlights or whatever would be best. I don't want to spend a whole lot. I was thinking of using speedlights and whatever i would need to defuse or spread the light out more if i need it.
haha i probably sound like an idiot but i know nothing about lighting like this :lol:

I'd suggest starting off small. With 2 speedlights and stands you could have one pointed at the nose and one to the rear when shooting the side. Maybe a 3rd to light the hood/nose. A 4th for the roof/trunk. A 5th...

You might not want to shoot with the light on the camera as every time you move you'll have to check for hot spots. Plus, depending on your setup, you might be using a wireless trigger.

One thing you should definitely get is a gold/white reflector for some fill light. It works great at sunrise/sunset. The rectangular one obviously works better for cars. But, the round ones will do as well.

FWIW, there is a lot of competition in trying to get cars into magazines. Pay close attention to details and the unique features of the car and make them stand out.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom