autofocus issues

My D600 will not autocus my Nikon 50 mm. 1.8 or my Tokina 11-16 2.8. I can hear the motor whizzing but no focus. The camera does focus the Nikon 24-85 kit lens that came with it as well as my Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRI. Anybody have similar problems or know a solution?

I had sometimes, but only sometimes and in fact only few times, problems with focus from my Tokina 11-16, and when I took the lens of and mounted it again, then it worked again.

The only time I have had problems with a Nikon lens was a 100 % new lens, and then I found out, that there was some very tiny metal-dust, which was ...fallen off - weared off - from the new lens, when mounting - contacting - the camera

I wiped it of - at the lens and at the camera - with a cloth, the small - tiny - metal "dust" was black on the white cloth, then mounted the lens again and it has worked since.

This was not with the D600, but That's all I can help with, perhaps not much.

My D600 will not autocus my Nikon 50 mm. 1.8 or my Tokina 11-16 2.8. I can hear the motor whizzing but no focus. The camera does focus the Nikon 24-85 kit lens that came with it as well as my Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRI. Anybody have similar problems or know a solution?
Don't have this problem but it sounds like your mechanical motor drive isn't engaging. First I'd check to make sure your AF switch is set to auto (just to be sure) and see if the screw drive connection looks flush with the mount. If these are OK, then I'd consider sending the camera in for repair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I took the camera to the local camera store where I bought it and the representative that helped me said the D600 is not capable of auto focusing the 2 lenses that I mentioned since they are not AF-S lenses. I did not realize this. I am surprised that the D7000 has this capability but the D600 does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell that guy at the camera store he's full of crap...! :rolleyes:

The D600 has the same screw drive connection as all the other higher end Nikon DSLR's...

Scroll down a bit on the page on this link http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600/4
and you will find this (including a picture of what the screw drive connector looks like)

Easy to miss, this tiny screw is the business end of an in-camera AF motor
which drives the autofocus in non-AF-S lenses. This makes the D600
significantly more compatible with Nikon and third-party legacy optics than
DSLRs further down Nikon's lineup.
Your screw drive is probably defective and that store should give you another camera...!

I'd insist on speaking with a manager and make a BIG stink about the load of crap that guy
tried to feed you...! :wink:

Edit:

Here's a great, easy to use, Nikon Camera and Lens Compatability Chart: http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Went back to the camera store with a printout of the article from the above post. Thank you William! The representative was very helpful, felt bad he gave me misinformation and gave me a new camera without me even asking for it. I will continue to do business there.

Went back to the camera store with a printout of the article from the above post. Thank you William! The representative was very helpful, felt bad he gave me misinformation and gave me a new camera without me even asking for it. I will continue to do business there.
Excellent news and good on him for owning up to his mistake and replacing
your camera...! :cool:

How's the AF working now with the new camera...?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom