1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Autofocus Setup/Operation How-To Link

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by jmantze, Aug 3, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

I got my Nikon D700 a few months ago and immediately began working my way through the manual. As it probably goes with most owners of this fantastic camera setting up and using the autofocus system seemed a bit daunting at first. After studying the AF sections of the manual I still had questions, so I searched online and found answers to most of my queries. After a lot of test shooting with the D700 and a some field trips I feel that I've got a pretty good handle on using this autofocus system. I've compiled all my notes on the AF system into a lengthy article which is on my site. I've also created a set of reference cards (see linked photo of the cards) about the AF system and some other camera functions. I have saved the article and reference cards in several formats and put the whole thing in a .ZIP archive.

Here's an overview of what's in the AF system article. Each section contains specific details on setup and operation, references to page numbers in the Nikon D700 manual and many examples of how the AF system can be used in different shooting situations.

1 - How this AF How-To article applies to the D3X, DX and D300.
    2 - An overview of in-camera menus, buttons and switches.
    3 - Which AF Menu Settings you only need to setup once.
    4 - AF Menu settings you will need to adjust as shooting conditions change.
    5 - "My Menu" - make the AF system easier to use by setting up this handy custom menu. Also a list of the items in my "My Menu".
    6 - Operating the AF system buttons, switches and related menu items.
    7 - Shooting situations with specific camera setups and operation.

Here's a link to the AF system article - after a description of the reference cards you'll see a link to the DOWNLOAD page where you can get the .ZIP archive.

If you find any technical inaccuracies please let me know.

Good shooting - John

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.