Automatic RAW processing

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by SteveC, Jul 17, 2008.

1. SteveC

SteveC

Jun 13, 2008
    UK
    My camera has many functions in life. 'Photography' - as in photos for their own sake. Catalog of every moment of the kids' life and holiday snapshot machine. Often these uses bounce back and forth from moment to moment.

My problem is that for one of those situations ('Photography'), I want RAW. For the other two, I want Fine JPEG. Does anyone know of simple batch software that will take a RAW file and create a fully EXIF'd fine JPEG as if the camera had done it when the shot was taken? This has to be automated and will go alongside my exiftool batch that moves them into folders based on the date they were taken (which I then sometimes tag with titles afterwards).

I've got a D40, so it's only capable of doing Basic as an add-on to RAW.

2. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Hi Steve - the easiest way to achieve this is to setup a profile that mirrors what a typical JPG would look like coming from your camera and then use the profile when you convert your images. Many RAW converters will allow you to use import profiles which will basically be the batch option you are looking for. To get the best results, you'll want to use the fine JPG as a guide as you manually convert the RAW image.. try to get them to match as closely as possible and then save the settings as a profile. Then, just use the profile each time you import - you should get RAW images as close to how they would appear in jpg as possible... then just batch convert the images to JPG (some programs even let you do this right from the import). Good Luck.

3. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Steve,

Sounds like you want basically what I already do.

1) Transfer files from CF card reader to my PC using Breezesys' Downloader Pro, which creates the folders based on camera model and date (there are tons of options).
    2) I view the RAW files in ViewNX to delete any blatantly bad shots.
    3) I load up Capture NX 2, and run two batches, one to load my IPTC (copyright) info into all the photos, and another batch that converts the colorspace from aRGB to sRGB, runs a small amount of USM, and save as a 95% JPG with ICC color profile embedded.

For images I want to tweak later on, I just go back to the original RAW in Capture NX, make my changes, and save over the JPG that was created in the batch job.

A tip for those that use Downloader Pro, you can automatically put RAW/JPG images into different folders. I usually put images in folder like this:

\My Photos\D300\YYYY-DD-MM\RAW

Where JPG's go in the root YYYY-DD-MM folder, and RAW images go into the RAW subfolder. This is accomplished in Downloader Pro by using the {E1} token at the end of your path.

When I move JPG's from my wife's D60, they just go into:

\My Photos\D60\YYYY-DD-MM

With no changes to the path... Downloader Pro rocks! I used the free version for 4+ years before buying Downloader Pro last year.

4. SteveC

SteveC

Jun 13, 2008
    UK
    Actually, this is the bit I'd like to avoid - The sorting of the files is completely automatic (a scheduled exiftool job that runs every hour), I'd like to know if there's any software that allows my computer to mimic the jpeg processing that Nikon does for all situations.

Is that possible? Other than that we're roughly in teh same boat (but I share a camera with my wife!)

5. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    As I mentioned above, software like Lightroom that allows you to apply a RAW editor profile upon D/L will take care of this for you.. Good Luck with your process - it's not always easy!

6. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Capture NX / NX 2 can "watch" a folder and process files automatically as you add files. And it uses all the in-camera settings when it processes the RAW file. No other software with batch processing capabilities does this. So if you need that, you need NX / NX 2. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you are saying...

7. I haven't used ViewNX but it is my understanding that you can also convert your NEFs to JPGs (using the camera settings) but I don't know if there is a batch possibility.

Also Photo Mechanic can extract the embedded JPGs for the NEF files and there are some more tools that can do this. Just search for it on Google or something.

8. SteveC

SteveC

Jun 13, 2008
    UK
    Nope, you got it - bit of a pain to have the behemoth that is Capture NX running all the time, but it's watch function pretty much does what I want. I'll have to re-jig how I'm organising photos, but that's OK :) 

Now if only I could prevent it from processing every RAW I have to date! Then again, as they're all basic jpegs attached maybe I'll set it off on Friday evening and hope it's finished by Monday.

For what it's worth - my process is now...

1/ Plain old file copy from my D40 to a 'incoming' folder on my computer.
    2/ A process watches that folder for new files and runs exiftool to dump them in Pictures\2008\07\15\RAW, or Pictures\2008\07\15\ depending on whether they're NEF or JPEG.
    3/ Capture NX2 is watching the Pictures directory for new NEF files. When they come in, it processes them back into the incoming folder as 90% JPEGs.
    4/ Exiftool picks them up again and sorts them into the Pictures\2008\07\15\ folder.

5/ Optionally, any files I wish to manually process, I do so in Capture NX2 and overwrite the 90% automatic jpeg.

Job done, now I can go back to using RAW files all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  9. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio

Do you know of any available presets for the D80? I found presets for the D200, but they appear different than what I get out of my D80.

10. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio
    I thought the embedded JPG was jsut a thunbnail. Is it a full-size fine JPG?

11. These are full-sized JPGs.

12. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Yes.. and the full-sized JPG can be extracted using a tool like Photomechanic. Keep in mind though.. that the preview image is simply the same image as the RAW - it isn't the same as shooting RAW+JPG which does apply in-camera processing to the JPG. The embedded preview is the same data from the RAW.. just in a form you can see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.