Autumn by the Reservoir

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Baywing, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Taken last weekend during our unusually warm weather, many of the trees had shed their leaves, but a few held on for a few more days.....
    [​IMG]

2. I've always loved water reflection photos. That 3-trunked "fan" is an interesting element in this photo, too. When a lot of the green is gone, the remaining colours in an autumn photo seem more intense, don't they?
    I have an irrestible urge to "flip" your photo and see what it looks like water-side-up "~}

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Fab

That is fabulous - I really do like that.

Must ask please - did it come from camera or a lot of processing - either way its a winner!

All the best

Ray

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Andrea, flip away! Thanks

Ray, I do a little post-process to all my shots. I use a D100, tone set to low, sharpening set to off or low. I shoot large, fine jpegs. This shot was with the 70-200 vr on a tripod with a Cir pol filter. I took the shot from the camera and in PS7 adjusted the levels to taste. I left the color as shot, I use sunny -2 this time of year. I re-size and apply sharpening, USM. It doesn't take too much, usually 150%, r=0.4, t=0. I increase the saturation about 25% and that's it. Shot was taken about 9am, light is nice this time of year!
    Thanks, hope that answers your questions.

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thank You

I am grateful for the help as I am a relative newbie. (Posting in dpreview since December 2004)

Really astounded at how good this is with so little processing - credit to you.

I will be watching your posts from now on!!!!

All the best and thanks again

Ray

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a beauty Bay.

Frame and hang that one :>))

(or better yet sell it :>))

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Gale, Thank you!
    Ray, awe shucks (digs toe into sand):rolleyes:
    Digital isn't much different than slides, I really got to know how to expose chrome film when I took up large format 12 years ago. It slowed me down, forced me to think and I had to be very careful with exposures due to the cost of the 4x5 and 8x10 film. That learning paid off, as I feel the most important part of digital photography is getting the image as close to right as you can get it in the camera. Yes, I've done the Ansel Adams thing, and taken shots that I normally wouldn't have, knowing that I can work it later in the "darkroom."
    Feel free to ask questions, most of what I know I learned as advice from others and it's always good Karma to pass it along!!!

8. That should be the last of it, very nice picture with the reflection in the water.