Autumn in Sothwest Virginia

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Pa, Oct 24, 2005.

1. We're having very late fall colors here - trees are usually bare by this time - and the colors are dull since we haven't had any cold nights. But it's snowing here now (33F at 4 pm), so the brilliant colors may appear soon.

In the meantime, here's a couple of scenes from our hike yesterday.

First one taken by my wife:

[​IMG]

and then one I took:

[​IMG]

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Snow??!?!?!! Lucky you! It's just dark and dreary here today...High temp today was 52F, but tonight will get down to 34F. Speaking of snow, tell me if you've heard this....Those fuzzy caterpillars...Someone recently told me that the darker their color, the colder the winter it will be. If that is the case, the we are in for a doozy...The ones I saw late in the summer and starting into the autumn were darn near jet black! Hmmm????

Nice shots, btw....I especially love the one your wife took! Thanks for sharing them.

3. Interesting that you should mention the fuzzy caterpillars. While we were having lunch in a meadow, this little guy crawled onto my wife's trousers:

[​IMG]

As you see, he is not very dark, so maybe we are in for a mild winter!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pa,
    Those are beautiful images. Beautiful view.

I haven't seen any caterpillars.. Does mean we don't have to have winter this year :>)))

going down in the 40's in Florida tonight
    eeeeeekkkkkkk

noooooooooooooooo
    Hurricane flollowed by a cold front ??? Whats up with this crazy weather.

5. Lovely colors and very nice contrast. PA by the look of the colors in the mountain i guest that in 1 week that forest should be at its best.

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Pa,
    Aside from being excellent photos, those images make me "homesick". I grew up (my wife says "not") in the foothills of the Catskills and I miss the rolling countryside.

7. :wink: ...ummmmmm actually, we call these mountains, as they go up to about 4000 feet. However, I know that they would be just foothills in real mountain country (see avatar).

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    This is my favorite forum here. Why? Because love beautiful sceneries like these. Beautiful scenery, well captured.