Discussion in 'Birds' started by Thos Quinn, Aug 4, 2005.

1. OK, right up front I’ll fess up that this shot was not taken with my new D2X (only in my dreams) or my current D70. I took this a couple of years ago with my very first digital camera; a humble CP5700. I had recently reloaded this image onto my hard drive off of CD to use for my avatar on this forum (severely cropped as you can see) and I thought you might enjoy seeing it. That is a male Northern Spotted Owl (Strix occidentalis caurina). I had just feed him a couple of mice to determine if the pair was nesting. The female had just flown away disinterested in a “free meal”. If the pair were nesting they would be VERY interested in “free” food for the kids. Anyway, the male ate two mice and flew to this roost site and went to sleep (they are after all nocturnal). All signs pointed to no nesting attempt by this pair that year. I set up my tripod, prepared the camera (remember using “user sets”?) and made a squeaking noise so he would open his eyes for the exposure. I particularly liked the strong backlighting (especially at the tail) even though it meant some unavoidable blown highlights in the hanging moss with the exposure required to capture the owl. To be honest, the live view revealed more blown highlights to the naked eye than the camera ultimately captured.

tripod-mounted CP5700; 71mm, 1/20 sec at f4.2; iso 100; RAW
    original.