1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Aveiro at dusk (or how to get fine results from the d300 @ iso3200)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Rui Lopes, Aug 18, 2009.

1. BESIDES THE FABULOUS ARCHITECTURE OF THE BUILDINGS BY THE AVEIRO CANAL, THIS SHOT REALLY AMAZES ME BECAUSE IT WAS TAKEN HANDHELD AT ISO 3200, WITH NO SO EVIDENT NOISE, WHICH I THOUGHT IMPOSSIBLE USING THE NIKON D300:
    116225203.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon:smile: glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

2. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

That is really good, Rui. I've heard it said that you can get shots with an ISO as high as 3200 without significant noise. Have you tried to go higher?

3. Very nice shot Rui. It looks like the D300 is a very capable camera at higher ISO's. Thanks for sharing. I still miss Europe and its architecture.

God Bless,
    David

4. NO WAY!:eek:  I am happy enough with 3200:smile: specially after shooting for two years with a D200 limited to ISO800... But, I must confess - I still dream to be able to shoot at 6400 when I can afford a D3...:redface:

Thanks, David. I am here waiting for you:wink:

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

5. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Very nice picture Rui.

But I think the fact that you cannot see the noise, does not mean there is no noise. It wouldn't surprise me if you go pixel peeping you can see some. The reason I don't see it in the picture is because the (shaded) areas where I normally would see it, have a texture that 'hides' it.

What do you think?

6. Well, I believe that at 3200, some noise must be there... may be you are partially right but at the same time, the less complex texture of some "flat" areas like the sky and the ground do not evidence the huge amount of noise I would expect using such a sensibility (at least on the D300).
    Notwithstanding, I often wake up on the middle of the night from some D700sweet dreams....:biggrin:

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

7. Rob Zijlstra

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Take care Rui!
    I speak from (sad??) experience. I had the same dreams and one day... I just bought the D700 and lo and behold: no noise until ISO 6400 or so. ( a bit exaggerating is permitted I hope :rolleyes: ?)

8. Very nice. I never shot D300 past ISO 2000 and that very rarely. Good to know I can maybe go higher.

9. Unfortunately my dreams quickly become nighmares when I start to think about the fine Nikon DX glass I would need to replace...:eek: 

Yes, Alex. The only thing we need is to nail exposures properly...

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

10. Rob Zijlstra

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Luckily I had the 70-300mm VR. I also bought the 50mm 1.4 AFS.
    I have some old 35 and 28mm ( about 30yrs old) and they work flawlessly on the D700, but the quality is not good enough. As I like very much to shoot landscapes, I want to buy an 14-24 mm, but I think I'll have to 'massage:Love:' the home front a bit before I can do that:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

11. What about a Sigma 12-24? I've been told that it is a very good landscape perfomer...

Rui

D300, D200, coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon:smile: glass.

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

12. Rob Zijlstra

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Morning Rui,

As I understood it, the Sigma you mentioned is for DX, not for FX.

13. Rob Zijlstra

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Rui,

You are correct: usable on FX.

But the Sigma AF 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX HSM DG has f4.5 and the Nikon 14-24mm AFS f/2.8 G ED is f2.8 as it's widest aperture through the whole zoom range.
    I think I'll stay with Nikon in this case, but we'll see (hopefully!) next year.

14. Hand Held? Impressive (as usual).

Les

15. Sure! It's what ISO 3200 is for!
    Thanks for commenting.

Rui

D300, D200, coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon:smile: glass.

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.