Avoiding NX-D to create NKSC_PARAM directory and files....

JPS

Hi ! Having used for yeeeaaars the old Nikon Capture NX-2, then only Photoshop's ACR, to process my NEF images, I had the curiosity to try the "newish" NX-D ! Definitely not as nice as the old one, but well...
Thing is, I always use Nikon ViewNX 2 and its great TRANSFER utility ! When I drop my CF-card in the card reader, it automatically opens and runs TRANSFER, which automatically creates a new sub-directory in my HD, downloads the files in it and opens Nikon ViewNX 2 !! Just GREAT !
The problem is that now, after having installed CNX-D, it changed the old TRANSFER for a new one, and now, it creates this damn NKSC_PARAM + one file per image :mad: ! I HAIT this and I don't want it !
Is there a way to avoid the software to create these useless directory and files ! ...or is there a way to get the OLD "TRANSFER" and have it running like it used to do ?
Thanks for your tips and suggestions !
Cheers,
J-P.

JPS

Bahhhh.... forget my post above ! I simply deleted the stupid CNX-D and loaded a fresh version of ViewNX 2 ! All is well !
Morality: often times, the old things work much better than the new ones :) !

Last edited:
Hi ! Having used for yeeeaaars the old Nikon Capture NX-2, then only Photoshop's ACR, to process my NEF images, I had the curiosity to try the "newish" NX-D ! Definitely not as nice as the old one, but well...
Thing is, I always use Nikon ViewNX 2 and its great TRANSFER utility ! When I drop my CF-card in the card reader, it automatically opens and runs TRANSFER, which automatically creates a new sub-directory in my HD, downloads the files in it and opens Nikon ViewNX 2 !! Just GREAT !
The problem is that now, after having installed CNX-D, it changed the old TRANSFER for a new one, and now, it creates this damn NKSC_PARAM + one file per image :mad: ! I HAIT this and I don't want it !
Is there a way to avoid the software to create these useless directory and files ! ...or is there a way to get the OLD "TRANSFER" and have it running like it used to do ?
Thanks for your tips and suggestions !
Cheers,
J-P.
All edites to NEF files, including modifying metadata, are stored in sidecar files. If you do no editing to the NEF file, you can avoid sidecar file I believe. Probably the TRANSFER file is altering metadata in the slightest way. What is so great about TRANSFER compared to Windows copy command to a designated folder which avoids any editing of raw files?

JPS

As I said, I use ViewNX since it came out, and love it ! I just put my cards in the card-reader, which automatically opens Nikon Transfer, which then check the cards, shows the number of images and asks if i want to run it ! I only have to click yes, and Transfer creates in C:\\PHOTOS a new sub-directory names from the day of the shots, ex. 2019-12-18, transfers the images in it, deletes the files from the cards and opens ViewNX 2 at the new sub-dir level :happy: ! What more automatisation could one hope ?

03D9A99F-16DA-4C6C-B2CD-0D53B4EDC47C.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

deletes the files from the cards

It would be much safer if you can configure it not to delete the image files from the memory card. If everything that could go wrong does go wrong, those image files on your memory card would be your only copy. I never remove the image files from my memory card until I have a backup copy of my images and have post-processed them, cataloged them, and moved them to their final resting place on my computer. And when I do finally remove the image files from my memory card, I do so by formatting the card in the camera.

What more automatisation could one hope ?

The most important addition would be to automatically make a backup copy of every image file. Some people would also want some metadata to be automatically added to the image files and some would want the filenames to be automatically changed to comply with their file-naming nomenclature during the transfer process. The software might do all of that even though you didn't mention it.

JPS

It would be much safer if you can configure it not to delete the image files from the memory card. If everything that could go wrong does go wrong, those image files on your memory card would be your only copy. I never remove the image files from my memory card until I have a backup copy of my images and have post-processed them, cataloged them, and moved them to their final resting place on my computer. And when I do finally remove the image files from my memory card, I do so by formatting the card in the camera.

Hi Mike ! I have been using VNX since it came out, and never had any problem of losing images in the transfer process..

The most important addition would be to automatically make a backup copy of every image file. Some people would also want some metadata to be automatically added to the image files and some would want the filenames to be automatically changed to comply with their file-naming nomenclature during the transfer process. The software might do all of that even though you didn't mention it.

Being a complete hobbyist, I never need the metadata in my TIF or JPG, only the one contained in the original NEF files. Also, every so often, I manually copy the new photo subdirectories to an external HD :) !

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway ! Have a great Christmas and New Year !!

I have been using VNX since it came out, and never had any problem of losing images in the transfer process..

I was thinking not of losing them during the transfer process but of any time in your workflow. I've also never lost any images, at least not that I remember, which means I'm that much closer to losing some due to a disk failure or whatever. It can never hurt to be super safe; it can never help to be complacent.

I was thinking not of losing them during the transfer process but of any time in your workflow. I've also never lost any images, at least not that I remember, which means I'm that much closer to losing some due to a disk failure or whatever. It can never hurt to be super safe; it can never help to be complacent.
We "all" know that paranoia is what makes bad things happen! :D :cool::eek:

Latest threads

Top Bottom