Azerbaijani octogenarian garmon virtuoso. Really!

Discussion in 'People' started by Vernon t, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Believe me, I'm not smart enough to be making that up. :wink:

A garmon is an Azerbaijani accordion.
    Azerbaijan is on the Caspian Sea between Russia and Iran.(of course you knew that).

He is Rahman Asadollahi. He performed at the San Antonio international accordion festival today. It was a spectacularly high quality two day event. Icing on the cake...a free event. Tera-wow. :cool:

These are some snaps from his performance. I was mesmerized, to understate it. The guy is phenomenal. I love live music...particularly enjoyable is the stuff I'd never buy or go out of my way to see when it knocks me over as this did.

To the point...I'd love to do this guys portraiture. I know nothing of portraits, but what a great subject, eh?? Last shot makes me smile. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  2. Wow, these are great! The color and sharpness are exceptional. Too bad you can't share the music too! Any chance you might have a link for that?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Vernon,

I actually knew where Azerbaijan was!

As for the pictures. I really like them. I like festivals like that, especially the free ones. Around here its $12-20.00 per head and with 2 adults and 2 kids thats not too cheap.

Thanks for sharing these.

4. Thanks. I had a great day.
    Out with my wife, Katrina. At one time that was a pretty name to most people....still is to me. :smile:
    Good weather, a couple of margaritas and, of course, the obligatory festival-meat-on-a-stick.

I shot a bunch of shots. This guy was my favorite and I knew I'd like the shots even prior to seeing them.

He started playing at 10, was given that accordion(garmon, specifically) at 17 and has played it since.

And, amazingly, here is a link to listen to his stuff. I didn't even look until you asked. The songs steam well, but are with a big orchestra. Today he was in a small 100+ year old room accompanied by a single drum. He got several standing ovations.
    http://www.emusic.com/album/10585/10585490.html

5. Thanks for the link, Vernon. The music adds a special touch to your pictures, but I bet it was even better in person!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Vernon,

Wonderful images and background of the Gentleman.
    Thank you for sharing.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    You've really shown what the D2x can do here!! The sharpness and color is just wonderful. I enjoyed this thread very much.

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Vernon,

Excellent series of images. He has a sparkle of life that were able to record nicely.

Regards

RFC

9. Nice series and like the others said beautifull sharpness. In the photo's. There are two things that i can enjoy to the fulliest. That is Photography and Music. My mother plays in a band she plays saxophone and she plays with a woman also that plays accordeon. I will show her the photo.

thanks for your images was nice to see them.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

10. Thanks all.

Noting the last photo: I have no idea really, but this may be the first photo ever capturing both Rahman Asadollahi and Sour Dough Slim on the same stage.(between change over)

I, for one, am ready for the collaboration album! :biggrin:

http://www.sourdoughslim.com/

11. Excellent images Vernon!

This is not exactly true. The word garmon is the Russian rendition of harmon (harmonica). The letter H does not exist in Russian, they even have troubles speaking it properly and usually replace it by G. My name is spoken Garald (instead of Harald).
    Keep in mind that Azerbaijan was a Russian province for a long time.
    They also have a button accordeon which is called Bayan.

I do not doubt that this man is a master of his instrument. Here in Austria we also have an accordeon festival each year (with players of French Accordeon, Bandoneon, Concertina, button accordeons and other sometimes exotic stuff) and the virtuosity displayed there is simply mind-boggling.

But you don't have to visit such festivals to enjoy such virtuosity. I can remember that once I watched a street musician, a young boy (about 13 years old) from Romania, whose accordeon was almost bigger than himself and he was playing Rimskiy-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumble-bee" without noticeable mistakes.

Anyway, your pics are phantastic.
    Cheers

12. Excellcent work both your photos and his music

13. Truly, thank you.
    I love knowing stuff and I'm indebted to anyone who can embellish and correct the stuff I know.
    Thanks again.

One of the things I found wonderful during my limited European travels (4 trips) is the wealth of music and depth of musical culture everywhere...be it in a grand cathedral or a street corner or a Metro corridor.
    This is something we, in the USA, may develop and refine after a few more centuries. It is here, but must be sought. Throughout much of the older world it is visible and plentiful.

Good day.
    Vernon

14. It is definitely there. Recently, I saw a documentary on TV about musicians in New York who had to attend an audition, where they had to show their skill in front of a jury. The jury then decided who qualified to play legally in one of NY's biggest metro station. Even some who did not get a "ticket" just went their and displayed their "skill" in one of the lesser places but still earn 100 bucks on a good day (which is more than I earn :frown: ).

BTW - in Vienna you might also find people who are just standing on their heads :biggrin:

Cheers