B-17 Liberty Belle (8 images)

The B-17 Liberty Belle is touring its way through the Northeast and made a stop in Lawrence, Ma this weekend. Once the rain stopped I grabbed my gear and headed out to the airport. Unfortunately I couldn't get out on the ramp but I was able to get a couple of shots through the fence. I was able to find a couple of spots off the end of the runway to get some in flight shots though. Shot with the D300, 70-300vr

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks like you found a good spot to shoot from, I like you head on shots.

Chris, our local air museum normally will ask if there are any WW2 fliers in the crowd when they go flying, and when there is one gets a free ride in the backseat.

Very nice set!
Thanks Alex

Nice series.......the B-17 is one of my favorite.
Thanks Mark, It's one of my favorites too. I saw "Texas Raiders" the other day in a hanger in HOU with all the cowlings off. I think that's the only one I haven't been able to shoot.

nice shots.

There was a nice story about this a couple of weeks ago in the Globe, they had given a WWII gunner & radio operator a free ride, his first time in a B-17 since his last mission in 1944.
Thanks Chris, That's a nice gesture on their part. Years ago I went for a ride in the Colling Foundation B-24 and there was a WWII Gunner and his grandson onboard with us. Talk about emotional.

Looks like you found a good spot to shoot from, I like you head on shots.

Chris, our local air museum normally will ask if there are any WW2 fliers in the crowd when they go flying, and when there is one gets a free ride in the backseat.
Thanks Tom, I was surprised that nobody else was off the end of the runway with me. There was a ton of people hanging around the fence that were frustrated because they couldn't get on the ramp. I had to climb a 20ft high pile of dirt just to get the last shot.

Scott, we have wonderful access at the podunk airfield they visit here. This shot is from last summer. I had a friend who drove off field for some shots of it coming and going and he was waiting and waiting. When he went back to the pad one of the crew was lying on top of one engine (that had spilled the most oil overnight) with a wrench.

Scott, we have wonderful access at the podunk airfield they visit here. This shot is from last summer. I had a friend who drove off field for some shots of it coming and going and he was waiting and waiting. When he went back to the pad one of the crew was lying on top of one engine (that had spilled the most oil overnight) with a wrench.

Your lucky. Two years ago when the Collings Foundation came to Portsmouth we had to deal with the TSA. When the first engine started up we were all ushered back behind the fence and not let back in. Hopefully they'll be at a different field this year.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom