B-17g

B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" is visiting El Cajon's Gillespie Field for a few days. This old warbird has been restored by a group from Oshkosh WI.

Nikon D700, Nikkor 300mm AF-S.

5614492654_52289010cb_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5613912791_fdf30aa078_o.jpg

5614492236_3917d0e952_o.jpg

5613912165_6540337e11_o.jpg

One I haven't seen in person yet. Nice you got the ever present guy with the fire extinguisher. These things leak oil like you won't believe. I made the mistake of switching lens when Liberty Belle was ready to leave the apron for the runaway. As he swung her around, we all found ourselves downwind of the props in a fine mist of oil. When Chuckie took off for Florida a month ago they topped up the engine oil, mind you topping up not changing, 35 gallons of it. They put on 1250 gallons of fuel for the trip from Virginia Beach to New Smyrna in Florida.

One I haven't seen in person yet. Nice you got the ever present guy with the fire extinguisher. These things leak oil like you won't believe. I made the mistake of switching lens when Liberty Belle was ready to leave the apron for the runaway. As he swung her around, we all found ourselves downwind of the props in a fine mist of oil. When Chuckie took off for Florida a month ago they topped up the engine oil, mind you topping up not changing, 35 gallons of it. They put on 1250 gallons of fuel for the trip from Virginia Beach to New Smyrna in Florida.

Liberty Belle was here last year. I did manage to get a few good shots of her. She seemed to have more oil drips than this bird. I stayed upwind from this one. The pilot today flew a B17 in WW2 and was a German POW. I spoke to another gentleman who said his airplane flew 33 bombing missions and got him home safely every time.

Liberty Belle was here last year. I did manage to get a few good shots of her. She seemed to have more oil drips than this bird. I stayed upwind from this one. The pilot today flew a B17 in WW2 and was a German POW. I spoke to another gentleman who said his airplane flew 33 bombing missions and got him home safely every time.

When Liberty Belle was here in 2008, they had a kitty litter bucket under one engine. We all had the darn bucket in our shots.

When Liberty Belle was here in 2008, they had a kitty litter bucket under one engine. We all had the darn bucket in our shots.

I just checked my files. She was here in February last year, I don't see any kitty litter, but from the looks of the tarmac, there is plenty of oil:
4391821593_ccab2636c5_o.jpg

Real Name
Mark
Great looking photos! The pilot must have been a pretty crappy pilot to get shot down in a B-17 over Germany. [\SARCASM]

Latest threads

Top Bottom