Featured B-25's from the 75th Doolittle Anniversary (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by crash141, Apr 17, 2017.

1. crash141

crash141

Jan 24, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Here are some shots from the arrival of the B-25's at the Air Force Museum today for the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle Raid from WWII.

_DSC1427.
    _DSC1455.
    _DSC1583.
    _DSC1798.
    _DSC2191.
    _DSC2253.
    _DSC2365.
    _DSC2421.
    _DSC2475.
    _DSC2535.
    _DSC2609.
    _DSC2746.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. That must have been a fun time. Thanks for sharing...! :)

3. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    Fantastic Shots!

I remember building the Model Kit of the B-25 with the 75mm Cannon in it as a Kid. Which would be almost 50 years ago...

It's amazing to see so many vintage B-25's in one place, a real tribute to a group of very brave men.

4. asaya

asaya

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Would liked to have seen that live, nice work

5. Love seeing the older aircraft, just something about them (not saying modern ones are bad, just preference). Great shots of the approach - it makes me want to take a trip out to my local airport - home of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum.

6. crashton

crashton

Apr 11, 2010
    Ohio USA
    Thanks for posting these Matthew. Great shots for sure, wish I'd been there to hear those radial engines. Unfortunately I had some out of town family drop in unexpectedly so no B25 bombers for me.

7. crash141

crash141

Jan 24, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thanks everybody. It was impressive to see them land. I was headed up today to photograph the formation flyover, but I had the time wrong. I was just getting on I-675 when I saw them on their run in to the museum.

8. Tom Larsen

Tom Larsen

Jan 18, 2008
    Denmark
    Thanks for posting these. I can relate to getting the time wrong, not a good feeling. Did you get any shots of the fleet on the ground?

9. crash141

crash141

Jan 24, 2009
    SW Ohio
    No. Unfortunately, I had to get back for a doctors appointment after they landed. They didn't let the public in until 10, and there was no way I could wait around.

10. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Matthue. Wow these old aircraft are beautiful. I can almost hear the drown of those big twin radial engines. You have captured them with the love and attention they deserve. I love the blur of those props.
    Cheers and thank you for posting.
    Mike

11. Thanks for the memories. I've been privileged to have seen these in flight and up close, several times, and they sure stir the blood and the soul like no other plane!

12. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    Mine was a Monogram Speedee Built. Construction was balsa with some plastic such as engine nacelles , wheels, plexi glass, machine guns under the greenhouse, props.
    Wife`s father was the flight surgeon of a B25 squadron in South Pacific. He occasionally would go on missions if he thought they would be "safe." They are all scary when the tracers start coming up at you.

One of my favorite books from around 5th grade was Thirty Seconds over Tokyo by Ted Lawson, one of the pilots. The movie is shown on cable pretty regularly. Ted lost a leg ditching his craft because they launched early and did not have enough gas to make it to China.

Someone in Tucson made a chalice for each member of the flight crews , engraved the name right side up and reversed on the bottom. They were then placed in a wooden case with a bottle of brandy bottled the year Doolittle was born. Each year at the the reunion the chalice for the deceased is turned over . The last two get to crack the brandy. I think it happened 3 or 4 years ago. It is now on display at the Air Force Academy.

We all should remember the sacrifices that were made in those gruesome years so we could be free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Probably the airplane I loved most as a kid .... I built the model and won a contest .... but that is not the reason. The reason was that the machine had a certainly homely, purposeful elegance about it. It was built to do a job, and it did it well, including helping us end the war. I just love that old plane.

14. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    • Like Like x 1