B&H and a D6

This past weekend I purchased a Used D6 rated at a 10 in "like new" condition from B&H (as an fyi I've been purchasing from B&H for over 25 years). The camera arrived on Tuesday and was pristine with 4k clicks on the shutter. I tested it out with several lenses and compared it to my existing D6. All was as advertised, except for one issue --- card slot 2 would not accept a memory card. I could insert a card about 7/8th of the way and that was it. I could not see anything lodged in the bottom of the slot. I called B&H, explained the issue, and per the customer service agent they do not have an in house repair service and they refused to send the camera to Nikon for repair. I had 2 options; keep it and send it to Nikon for repair,on my dime, (which in all likely hood would have negated most of the savings on the purchase price from a new one) or return it for a full refund. I opted for the return.
I am not posting this as a negative on B&H, although I am disappointed with the service on this, but to advise anyone looking to purchase a "like new" D6 from B&H to beware. The serial number on the D6 is 3001432. Also I'm guessing that B&H's 90 warranty on their used equipment is strictly a "replace" and not a "repair" warranty and if they don't have another "used" item to "replace" the damaged one they will offer a refund. I will continue to purchase new items from B&H but will no longer purchase used cameras or lenses from them

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Sorry this happened. They should have checked it out better before offering it for sale! However, they aren't in the repair business so I wouldn't expect them to repair it. It is out of Nikon warranty, so they couldn't send it to Nikon. Full refund upon return is the fair thing to do. I've purchased used from them occasionally, but usually find the savings not enough to buy used. I usually opt for new.

At one time B&H did have a repair service they used. It was most likely a local repair shop near their store. I would not expect Nikon to repair the camera under warranty, but that doesn't preclude B&H from sending it to them for repair. Since they advertise that they "only sell used equipment that has been tested and proven to be in good working order" and "B&H’s Used Department comes with our own 90-day parts and labor warranty", I would have expected them to have the camera repaired. Like I stated in my original post, I will continue to be a B&H customer, but just not in the used department. I have purchased used cameras and lenses from them in the past, this purchase was disappointment

Probably one that slipped thru whatever testing process they use. I had this happen once with a lens from Adorama, the AF went out just after their warranty had expired. They quickly replaced it.

It's possible that they didn't adequately test it. It's also possible that they did adequately test it and that in between their test and your use the memory card mechanism failed. Regardless of which happened (we'll never know), they did the right and best thing they could do in their current business model.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from B&H whether new or used, as in all the years I've been following them and doing business with them I've never heard of anything about their treatment of customers other than stellar comments. I consider the facts of this report to be stellar yet again.

My experience with their customer service has always been good and I will continue to purchase new product from them. However, this was a significant purchase. A better way to handle it would have been: We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. If you would be willing to send this to Nikon for repair, B&H will offer you a store credit for the amount of the repair and the shipping costs to Nikon. That would have been stellar customer.
As a case in point, about 5 years ago I purchased a used D4S in "like new" condition from District Camera. When I received it there was an issue with the auto-focus. District Camera, when notified of the issue gave me 2 options 1) a full refund, since they did not have another comparable quality used D4S in stock. 2) send the camera to Nikon repair in New York, under their Nikon number and a UPS shipping label, so no cost to me. I went with option 2.

I bought a used Domke bag from them many years ago, it was listed as in "good" condition. When I got it, the shoulder strap was torn, almost as if it got shredded by a machine. I sent them a photo of it, and they paid to have it fixed (cut and re-stitched). So, a happy ending, but it's strange that they didn't inspect the product prior to shipment, but I assume it was an employee problem. Done business with them after that without incident.

I never buy camera bodies used, always buy new, and I try to support my local camera shops as much as possible. I have through the years purchased a few lenses used, and have (happily) never had any bad experiences there. There are current items -- camera bodies, lenses, accessories -- though, which simply are not available at the local shops at the time I feel I need or want them, and that's when I turn to B&H and (knock on wood) so far have never had any issues with them over the many years I've been using them for some purchases. A case in point is a particular lens that I wanted about a year ago and it was listed as being on back-order at most places, and then eventually reappeared at B&H. Oh, good, I thought, this means the lens is back in full production again and my local shops will be getting it soon! I waited.....and waited....and waited. Still marked as "Back-Ordered" locally. Finally one day I said, "OK, enough of this waiting," and simply ordered the lens from B&H and have been happy with it ever since.

Right now I am in that waiting/holding phase again as I keep checking with my local shops for something that I'm ready to buy and have wanted for a while, but understandably, demand has been high and there still seems to be somewhat of a shortage......so I wait, as I really would so much prefer to support one of my local shops with this particular purchase, as it will be an expensive one and also will involve purchasing various accessories at the same time. I have the feeling that when the time comes that I'll finally be able to at last get my hands on the desired item locally but that I still may need to turn to B&H for some of the accessories, and that's fine....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Every time i purchased something from B&H my delivery was an open box or a returned items.
I have got a better luck with Adorama
I purcahsed from B&H for over 30 years. NEVER had that problem. Different experiences by different users.

Every time i purchased something from B&H my delivery was an open box or a returned items.
I have got a better luck with Adorama
You sure you weren't inadvertently shopping in the Used Gear department rather than the section for new gear? It can be easy to slip into that Used Gear section without realizing it if you typed in a specific item in the search box and then were taken to the item and rather than being a new one it was actually a used one.....

You sure you weren't inadvertently shopping in the Used Gear department rather than the section for new gear? It can be easy to slip into that Used Gear section without realizing it if you typed in a specific item in the search box and then were taken to the item and rather than being a new one it was actually a used one.....
No i was in new gear. just had bad luck all the time. i like them anyway

B&H should have an aisle somewhere named after me. I bought a BUNCH of stuff from them over the years.
Never an issue. It wasn't always perfect, but they always took care of me.
Maybe I am easier to please. As there website clearly defined the choices they could make, I would have been satisfied with a complete refund.
gary

I have been ordering from B&H for around 30 years, but I have been hearing more and more stories like this about them. Each story isn’t a big deal by itself, but they all lead me to think that B&H isn’t servicing their customers like they have in the past.

I have never bought used from B&H, but I have bought used from KEH, whose grading seems to be very conservative. I’ve never had a bad experience with KEH.

I bought my D5 as a refurb from Adorama in December of 2018, and it’s simply the greatest deal I have ever gotten on any photographic equipment. It was listed at 2k below the new price, and when I got it, it was a really low serial number, and had only a few hundred shutter actuations. It was basically brand new.

I have been ordering from B&H for around 30 years, but I have been hearing more and more stories like this about them. Each story isn’t a big deal by itself, but they all lead me to think that B&H isn’t servicing their customers like they have in the past.

I have never bought used from B&H, but I have bought used from KEH, whose grading seems to be very conservative. I’ve never had a bad experience with KEH.

I bought my D5 as a refurb from Adorama in December of 2018, and it’s simply the greatest deal I have ever gotten on any photographic equipment. It was listed at 2k below the new price, and when I got it, it was a really low serial number, and had only a few hundred shutter actuations. It was basically brand new.
I agree their customer service is not what it used to be. It seems that's the way a lot of retail is going these days. So end result, for me, is B&H will not be my "go to" for equipment.

my $.02 - not having a lot of experience with B&H or Adorama.....given current circumstances vendors are likely short staffed and backed up. It could be simple human error in the process. I have experienced some sloppy/missed QA on other deliveries and even when I do take out from restaurants as a result of CV19 issues. They should handle the return normally as this was no fault of yours. Don't give up on suppliers yet

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom