B&H ENEL 15B Replacement

B&H is replacing 15B batteries: B&H is replacing a batch of Nikon EN-EL15b batteries - Nikon Rumors
Curious that there is no word from Nikon which would indicate a manufacturing issue and a system wide recall. I remember the early 15's wouldn't work when the D500 came out, and Nikon would exchange the older ones for current ones. The 15B's have been discontinued as noted in a previous thread but this seems unrelated. Speculation on my part, but maybe B&H got a batch of frauds??

Real Name
Andrew
Yeah, I see no one else nor Nikon issuing any similar statements. It is still early, so it could be that the channels of communication are still in flux.

Real Name
Ian
Mine has been fine in my Z6. No issues with battery life, recharging, overheating, etc. I wonder what the issue is?

Not just a B&H problem, I got my Z6 kit from Adorama in March, and ordered a second EN-EL15b at the same time. One of the batteries (no idea which it was, the one in the kit or the spare) started giving me the "shutter disabled" error message a few days ago. Close comparison of the two batteries does yield very slight differences in the labeling, but they are *not* obvious at a glance.

I submitted a query to Adorama customer service this morning to see if they will replace the fake/bad battery as B&H has done, we'll see how it goes.

FYI, Adorama is replacing my fake/defective battery, although unlike B&H they asked me to ship it back to them. Which is fine, they sent me a prepaid UPS label. So, back it goes.

Here's a photo of my two batteries, apologies for the quality... had to use my phone since my Z6 didn't have a battery in it. :)

Top battery is the good/legit one, bottom is the fake. They are close enough to pass a superficial inspection, but if you look closer you will notice the label text on the fake is a bit less crisp, blurry like it was printed on an inferior printer. Also, on the fake the final comma is missing in the phrase "Do not incinerate, disassemble, short." The holographic label has a slightly different color to it, isn't quite as smoothly glued to the battery as the one on the real battery, and you can see "XLMD" engraved into one of the spaces on the fake where the real one has nothing.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 103
Real Name
Ian
Here's a photo of my two batteries, apologies for the quality... had to use my phone since my Z6 didn't have a battery in it. :)

Top battery is the good/legit one, bottom is the fake. They are close enough to pass a superficial inspection, but if you look closer you will notice the label text on the fake is a bit less crisp, blurry like it was printed on an inferior printer. Also, on the fake the final comma is missing in the phrase "Do not incinerate, disassemble, short." The holographic label has a slightly different color to it, isn't quite as smoothly glued to the battery as the one on the real battery, and you can see "XLMD" engraved into one of the spaces on the fake where the real one has nothing.

Hope this helps.
Very interesting. I’m wondering where the “switcheroo” happened in the supply chain?

Real Name
Ian
B&H is Replacing a 'Subpar' (i.e. Fake) Batch of Nikon Batteries

Makes me wonder who B&H gets their genuine Nikon supplies from. As possible the largest Nikon authorized retail business around, I'd expect they source from Nikon and only Nikon!
They do source them from Nikon, but that doesn't mean that a B&H employee drives to the manufacturing facility to personally deliver them.

Here's a post that explains how it can happen.

The takeaway is that Nikon needs to do some digging around in their supply chain to determine where and how the real batteries were switched with fake ones, and remedy that issue.

Replacement battery arrived from Adorama today, looks to be legit (ie, labels looks crisp, no missing punctuation, no extra markings anywhere on the battery exterior). Topping off in the charger now, hopefully this is the end of the counterfeit battery saga for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom