Votes: 41 39.8%
  • I get a 70-200 VR I now

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • No 70-200 for me

Votes: 28 27.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thorsten

At the moment the VRI keepers are winning (28 + 3 new buyers), but the VRII is surprisingly close with 25 (and that does not include the missing option for those who plan to buy it later). I had expected maybe a 10:1 win for the VRI. I know our little poll cannot begin to be representative of the many current and prospective 70-200 owners, but still it looks the VRII could be quite popular, despite it's price.

L

LSPhoto

At the moment the VRI keepers are winning (28 + 3 new buyers), but the VRII is surprisingly close with 25 (and that does not include the missing option for those who plan to buy it later). I had expected maybe a 10:1 win for the VRI. I know our little poll cannot begin to be representative of the many current and prospective 70-200 owners, but still it looks the VRII could be quite popular, despite it's price.
the main problem I see with the numbers is that it doesn't account for the person that will buy the VRII pending favorable reviews, and the buyer which will order a VRII once a certain price drop or rebate occurs. I suspect most people will be in those categories while the minorities are those that already put the money down in good faith and those that will hold to the VR1 regardless of what happens.

we should take a similar poll once a few of the trusted reviewers get their hands on it as well as members of the cafe to see if people changed their minds.

More reviewers' opinions aren't going to sway me - the direct comparison shots against the VRI were enough to convince me. The step from my AFS to the first VR would have been an incremental step. The VRII seems much more justifiable based on what I've seen and read. In other words, you'll be seeing my beloved 80-200AFS in the FS section soon...

You do realize I was being sarcastic, right?

I have auditioned the 24-70 several times, and found it to be outstanding. Mine shows up on Monday. :smile:
Sorry, it was past my bedtime. I've done alot of running off at the mouth about the insignificance of the new features on the 70-200 VRII. I just wish on gear like lenses, Nikon would get it right the first time. I'll probably have one in 6 months anyway.

BTW, I have VRII on my 400 and it works really well. I don't use VR all that much though so I really can't quantitatively compare it to VRI.

Sorry, it was past my bedtime. I've done alot of running off at the mouth about the insignificance of the new features on the 70-200 VRII. I just wish on gear like lenses, Nikon would get it right the first time. I'll probably have one in 6 months anyway.

BTW, I have VRII on my 400 and it works really well. I don't use VR all that much though so I really can't quantitatively compare it to VRI.
what do you mean by get it right the first time. engineers can improve a design till the end of time. reality has to kick in at some point and say "ship it". otherwise we will never have anything.

G

garyosborne

Must be a placebo effect of having spent the money on it. :tongue:

I am not doubting that the 70-200 VR2 will be a very good lens and an improvement on the 70-200 VR1. I just can't grasp the downplaying of the capabilities of the VR1, including on the Cafe.
downplaying???? everything has it's limitations including even the new VRII (yet to find them as it's so new)....but it's much brighter across the frame, sharper in the corners and no barrel distortion (or reduced) = WIN

why are you try to shoot action at 1/60 in the first place :confused::confused:
because he was wide open at ISO 3200, perhaps ISO6400 was too much...anyway he already commented after i chose quote so.....

Thorsten

B+H has stopped taking orders for now. So they probably sold all the lenses they expect to get with the first batch (somebody over at Nikonians mentioned B+H has ordered 1000 copies from Nikon).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom