B&H Still has D700's Doesnt seem to be flying off the shelves

Personally, the price is what is keeping me from getting one at this point. I am waiting for the price to settle some. My D300 really is all the camera I NEED right now, BUT I do WANT a D700.. :)

The price for the D3 and D300 hasn't dropped has it? Thats one of the reasons I got my D700 day one. I didn't want to wait 6-12months for a price drop of what, $200?

Well wanting to wait..and having to wait are 2 different things. I HAVE to wait...no choice in the matter. New baby, job change, moneys tight

So, since I have to wait I can only hope Nikon sees slower then expected sales at the 3K mark, then maybe they will drop it a little. The D300 is still selling like hotcakes at its current price...so why drop it.

I'm just grateful I already had a savings account going for a D3.....made it easier for me than it would have been otherwise. Maybe Nikon just made more for the release after the D300/D200 issues?

I've been waiting for this since they came out with the D3. I dont care if I'm the only one that buys one, this is the camera for me... Everything I need in a camera. The D3 would have been overkill and considering the 5d prices, I think it's a good price. :wink:

I agree that I think it's the price as well. I think the D300's were flying off the shelves because they were priced low enough for the average consumer to splurge on the camera and not feel too bad. Now you're talking about almost 2x that amount for a D700. Yes it is full frame, but there are still a lot of people out there who are hesitant to spend $3k on camera equipment. I know my wife is! :biggrin:

Although, I think I will rent the D700 first to try it out, and then I'll probably get one in a month or two before I have to shoot a wedding in November.

I'm just grateful I already had a savings account going for a D3.....made it easier for me than it would have been otherwise.

Same here, and I'd rather get a D700 from a reputable dealer than risk buying a $4000 D3 from a shady dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that I think it's the price as well. I think the D300's were flying off the shelves because they were priced low enough for the average consumer to splurge on the camera and not feel too bad. Now you're talking about almost 2x that amount for a D700. Yes it is full frame, but there are still a lot of people out there who are hesitant to spend $3k on camera equipment. I know my wife is! :biggrin:

Dave hit the nail on the head. Also some of us just don't need the FX format. I will get a D700 but not right now.

Too invested in DX glass and like it. Also, the darn D700 came to fast after the D300. If I still had only my D200, then maybe I could justify. But not now. If Nikon keeps up this introduction rate, the D700 will have an upgrade/replacement within a year.

for me, I would love to have it. I can swing it but it's hard to pay for something knowing that I could get a used car for that.

The unusual thing for me is it's not an upgrade of a D300, it confuses me why people are considering it as an Upgraded D300, or that the D300 is now outdated.

It's merely a sideways step from a D300, it's just FX, my photography doesn't need FX, and it's just £2000 less profit at the end of the year :)

I agree. It's the price, and for those of us who use them to try to make a living, the fact that when all is said and done, 99.9 percent of our clients won't care if an FX or DX camera recorded their wedding moments, portraits or product shot.

$3K would look better in our IRA or savings accounts than on an invoice for a new camera. Further, the D700 is kind of a one trick pony over and above the D300, giving us a stop or two of better noise, not a whole lot more if we already have invested in wide DX lenses. Sure, getting real 14mm coverage from my 14-24 would be great, but my 10.5 fisheye does even better. And I rarely crank it down to 14mm on the D300.
And then there's what I would lose, that 1.5 crop factor on my longer lenses and overall better optical performance.
All of that said, the D700 fills a niche in Nikon's line that has been empty ever since the 5D was introduced. So bravo Nikon for giving it to us, too bad it's coming at least two years too late and $1K over price (compared to 5D pricing).
I think the price will drop after September, when Canon rolls out their 5D competitor. That should get real interesting then.

N

Nuteshack

these things ain't flying off the shelf ...and can prolly pick one up today ata discount..;-)

Although, I think I will rent the D700 first to try it out, and then I'll probably get one in a month or two before I have to shoot a wedding in November.

I rented one for the weekend. After buying, and not liking the D3 (for studio work...loved it for natural light)......I felt the rental fee might be money wisely spent......

Latest threads

Top Bottom