B&H strikes again!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by flygirl1, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Hi to all. Well, the friend that was going to be able to let me borrow his 12-24 lens for my trip to Alaska now needs it for a trip of his own, soooo you know what that means:rolleyes::tongue:. Anyway, just ordered the Tokina 12-24 f4 lens with the B+W multicoat thin CP. Oh well, I think Alaska is worth, don't you:biggrin:!!

Cheers
    Nancy

2. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Alaska is definitely worthy! I personally would have gone with buydig (and may tomorrow! stay tuned!), but it's close enough. Enjoy your new lens, and be sure to share the photos that you take with it.

3. I looked at buydig, but B&H has the Bill me Later service, so I have 3 months to pay without interest:tongue: Hope to get some great pics. Will be leaving July 6th for a week of cruising the inside passage.

Best
    Nancy

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I'm jealous. I'd love to go back to Alaska with my current gear. Need an assistant?

5. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Hi Nancy,

My wife and I cruised the inside passage 2 years ago. Started in Ankorage and ended in Vancouver. If you haven't been before, I'll be glad to let you know the places and excursions where we found some great photo ops. Other members probably have some good advice also.

I hope to go back again in a year or two. Next time I'll have better equipment (and may even know how to use it!).

6. :biggrin:
    That would be great:smile:. We are going on a Princess cruise, the Golden Princess ship, out and back to Seattle. We stop in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. So far I have the Pilots choice glacier trip and the evening whale watching booked in Juneau and in Skagway I have the rafting trip in the Eagle preserved booked. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.:biggrin: Thanks a lot!!

Cheers
    Nancy

7. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    is buydig an authorized dealer for nikon, tokina, tamron, sigma, etc?

I've always ordered from b&h because I TRUST them- I've been ripped off by one too many shady electronics dealers on the internet.

8. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Buydig is the web arm of beach camera. AFAIK, they are authorized, and they definately give good service.

9. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Sounds like you've got some great stops. We also stopped in Jeneau, Skagway and Ketchikan, as well as Prince Rupert.

We did the rafting excursion through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve out of Haines. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. There were lots of eagles in the trees on both sides of the river. The rafts were 8-person rafts manned by a guide (our guide was very knowledgeable about native flora and fauna). There was no real white water, so it was a smooth trip. However, can't use a tripod on the raft, and I wasn't particularly good at handholding my Sigma 50-500, so some of my shots weren't as sharp as I would like. I didn't have a VR lens at that time. You'll probably pass within 20 yards of eagles on the banks and in the trees, so whatever you can do to stabilize your lens, or use a VR, will help a lot.

We also went on the whale watching excursion. You'll definitely see some whales--the excursion boat operators know where they are. I got some great shots (at least great for me--I was just getting started in photography with a D100) of whale tales as they dove. One of them was around 25 yards from our boat, and I got a sequence of 3 shots of his tale at different angles as he dove. You should get some great shots. Again, sharpness could be a problem due to movement of the boat. (The excursion boats can't approach the whales by law, but it's ok if the whales approach the boat.)

The excursion boat should also take you close to sea lions and sea otters. The otters are really fun--they are curious and will approach the boat, so you can get some good shots. Might want to use a polarizer for the whales, otters and lions since you'll be shooting into water. You'll probably want to use a telephoto, maybe something like an 80-400?

We didn't do any of the planned excursions in Jeneau. We just walked around the town, which was a lot of fun. There are some neat photo ops, including a legendary saloon, and the Alaska Harley Davidson dealership.

Hopefully your ship will go into one of the fjords, and you will approach a glacier. If so, you'll have an opportunity to take pictures of it "calving," which is a great sight. Huge chunks of ice falling into the water. Watch your exposure--the ice can fool your meter. You should also get some shots of small icebergs floating past.

We had dolphins playing alongside our boat during part of the trip, but my shots didn't turn out too well. The dolphins are grey, and you'll be shooting down on them, so it's kind of tough.

The boat also will have good photo ops on board. The superstructure of the boat, life boats, various equipment, etc. can make interesting shots. Seattle should also be fun.

These are just a few thoughts based on my experience. Next time I should be able to get much better shots. I'll have newer equipment, and be more experienced in handling it.

Maybe some other members can also give you some thoughts--especially those who live in Alaska.

10. Thanks Gandalf:smile:. I will have my 70-300VR with me so I think that will be a very handy lens. And, yes, the ship also goes through Tracy Arms Fijords. Anyway, I hope I can return with some nice pics to share.

Thanks again
    Nancy