1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

B&W along the river - DR testing

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Elf_8, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Here are three shots from a walk I had last week-end with some friends along a little river in the forest. They are from my last roll of Portra BW400, all done with a Nikkor 20mm and an F80.
    The conditions are typical and very demanding in terms of DR : mid-day sun, some clouds and deep shadows under the canopy.
    These are the times when I wished I had a max of DR. I had my film processed in C-41, by a good lab. I then scanned it with a Coolscan IV ED. This probably left some of the DR out. The 12-bit image was saved in NEF format and post-processed in Nikon Capture Editor. My next tries will be with the KODAK PROFESSIONAL BW400CN Film.
    I have read that the Fuji S3 Pro can handle up to 10 EV. Has anyone here experience of shooting under similar conditions with that specific DSLR ? Sandi, if you ever see this one...

32362396-L.
    32362395-L.
    Nikon COOLSCAN IV ED    ---            

32362394-L.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images Christian.

3. Nice images Christian but I must admit that it leaves me wanting to see them in color.

4. You are both too generous...
    It was a kind of a challenge to do B&W in there. Without colour, one's left with shape and design. Obviously, these are hard to compose with a 20mm in a forest. It was my choice - for the challenge precisely. I was left with the light, hoping to grab as many shades as possible. I admit I am not really satisfied though. I bet the negs still hold more than what the scanner has pumped out.

5. Very nice!!

Nice ones Christian, I really like compositions.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Ben

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.