B&W Back Alley

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dkapp, Apr 4, 2005.

1. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    A few from my latest adventures through the shady back alleys of San Francisco. This was just outside of Chinatown, a relatively safe area. I think my next trip will be to the tenderloin district...wish me luck.

I've not posted many pictures on this site yet. My style is a lot different than what I've been seeing here. Most, if not all of you don't know me, or my style. I like the dark, rougher, moody look to my pictures, and often push the limits in post.

Love them, hate them...either way I just want to share. I'll try and post a few color pictures later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Dave

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

I am into a completely different area of photography at the moment, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy and learn from those whose interests are different from mine (like these). The Cafe would be a pretty dry place if all we had was birdie shots :roll:

Nice pics BTW. Keep them coming!!

Frank

3. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Aye aye

Dave, your B&W conversion rocks.

FM? Or are you on your own now?

4. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Frank. As I get more and more comfortable with the forum, I'll be posting more pictures. :D

Dave

5. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Anand.

I'm using my own technique now. It's a mix of Curves, Channel Mixer or Calculations.

Dave

6. These are really cool, Dave. I like the 'edge' to the them. I live in the heart of Toronto so scenes like this are very common for me (my area was built in the 1860s) but as a woman, no taking pics like this at night time!! Not without a big dog with big teeth! Don't give a second thought to the fact that they might be different - these are great for mind expanders!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

I hope you never have to worry about posting your pictures here. If it comes to that, we have failed. :?

Like someone's signature here said (sorry, I can't remember who's right now), quoting John Cleese from Monty Python, 'I may not know art, but I know what I like'. Please don't be shy. These are really good shots. Let us see more.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I love your photos...you say they aren't like most of the posts around here....Hey, Variety is the spice of life....Keep them coming. I really enjoyed your post...

9. Dave,

I enjoy your style. I feel the same when it comes to B&W pictures. In my opinion contrast plays a big role and one needs to push it to the limit to really bring the "correct" mood out. Excellent work !

10. WOW......cool shots Dave!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

11. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Sandi.

I get very nervous when shooting in some of the areas of San Francisco. I had a close encounter with a crazy homeless person once, and that has shaken my confidence to say the least.

I really want to get to the Tenderloin for some pictures, but it is the worst part of the city. Not really safe in the day. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going there tomorrow or not.

Dave

12. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Leigh.

I'll try and post some color shots this evening if I can get out of doing the dishes :D

Dave

13. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Jay! I think you and I are going to get along just fine :D

Dave

14. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Haha...Thanks Dawg. Everytime I see your name, I think of Randy Jackson from American Idol...Yo, Yo, Dog. Your did your thing dog.

Sorry...I don't get out much.

Dave

15. You definitely found a seamier part of life and captured it well.

16. Nothing wrong with that, I like them very much. I'm so obsessed with colors lately - your post is a good reminder of what B/W is able to express.
    Thanks

17. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Dave

This series make me emotional,sounds crazy but they do
    SUBLIME

18. I dig these very good feel to them think your B&W conversion portrays the feeling you are trying to get across. Keep them coming different is just that different always looking for something new

19. Great shots !
    Very dark and moody - you're starting to re-kindle my interests in B&W again.

20. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    B&W is a lot of fun. There are so many ways to process a B&W, the possibilities are endless. Lots of creative freedom.

Dave