B&W Bird photos

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    First, been away from the CPU for a few weeks, but now that I am back at home I can start participating again. glad to be back,

Right before I left town I took these evening photos of the local river birds. This time I went out with the purpose of getting some images that would work well in B&W.

your thoughts are appreciated.

Wade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ya know, most would not equat birds & B&W. Great consept! And, I like your images. Personaly, I'd have increased contrast and cropped a little closer. Thesre things are TOTALY subjective. But, I really like your efforts. FWIW, my vote goes to the second shot of "two ships passing in the night" (the story of my liffe). I'd paly with these ifns' I were you. Again, I like them!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like them.. Very nice.

Have given it a thought, however never converted one

4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks for the look, I appreciate you thoughts on the contrast, I tend to like dark and moody BW images, and this transfered to these conversions. I placed both shots of the "two ships passing" because I didn't know which one I liked better. The square shot is balanced one on top of the other, large vs small, light vs dark and is very symmetrical, while the second shot is more of the passing look.

As you said I am still working with them.

Thanks,

Wade

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Gale, I first did it last fall with a plain simple everyday gull flight shot and it started me thinking about other bird types that might it work on and pelicans seemed the best choice.

thanks,

Wade

[​IMG]

6. I really like the first image. The contrast between light and dark and the way you have chosen to compose this image is excellent.

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Gordon, I tend to like image #1 best, as I was shooting, I was thinking, Ok, Ok, keep swimming, not to close, that's good, perfect, click, click went my camera as my left arm gave out right aftwerwords from handholding the 200-400VR. The duck was just a smidge out of focus being further back, but after the conversion and silhouette process, it worked out well, thanks

Wade

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Interesting concept, Wade! I like the results, with #1 my preference. You've made me think about trying that approach on some of the birds around here.