B&W conversion with Glow work (lots pics later in post)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
converted this image into B&W from the original processed Raw file (raw work done in capture NX, B&W conversion and other work in PS CS) D200, 200VR lens, f2, 1/60, ISO 800,

I wasn't really happy with the image and didn't use it in the albums for the studio, but thought that this work presented a different look.

06%20Dufrenne%20Dance%20491.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

06%20Dufrenne%20Dance%20492.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, Wade, and I like both the colour and BW version. I might be tempted to eradicate the scuff marks of the stage and tone down the lines which seem to pull the eyes away from the ballerina. Nice image.

L

Logan

very nice wade... for some reason when i saw the BW i instantly thought of IR, looks great nonetheless

R

Removed User 2

I prefer the Color version. The B&W is not a quality B&W, IMO. But you really think the girl's expression is good?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Very nice, Wade, and I like both the colour and BW version. I might be tempted to eradicate the scuff marks of the stage and tone down the lines which seem to pull the eyes away from the ballerina. Nice image.

If I do ever use it the lines and scuffs would be cleaned up, was jsut playing around a bit,

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I prefer the Color version. The B&W is not a quality B&W, IMO. But you really think the girl's expression is good?

Wasn't going for a "quality" BW conversion but more of a glow look or presence look, and I even did some despeckle and noise reduction and local bluring too.

And in regards to the expression, yep, that is why it didn't make the cut, Good eye there Ned.

I was intriqued by the effect of the shearness of the ballerina tutu, and seeing how far I could make it glow, and I wanted a glow effect on the skin too. A straight BW conversion would have left all the detail in the tutu but why bother on this image, try something different I thought.

Best part of this image is the hand position and arm position in relation to the body, expression isn't the best as you noted.

Thanks for the look and coments and your eye Ned, much appreciated.

Wade

R

Removed User 2

Wasn't going for a "quality" BW conversion but more of a glow look or presence look, and I even did some despeckle and noise reduction and local bluring too.

And in regards to the expression, yep, that is why it didn't make the cut, Good eye there Ned.

I was intriqued by the effect of the shearness of the ballerina tutu, and seeing how far I could make it glow, and I wanted a glow effect on the skin too. A straight BW conversion would have left all the detail in the tutu but why bother on this image, try something different I thought.

Best part of this image is the hand position and arm position in relation to the body, expression isn't the best as you noted.

Thanks for the look and coments and your eye Ned, much appreciated.

Wade

Glad to see you didn't take offense in my post! That's refreshing!
Yes, I see what you we're after and we all like to try, but her expression was key here.

I know Ballet photography is the most hard thing to achieve. I've tried a few times and got it all wrong, all the time! It's ALL about the Apex moments in each and every move/sequence. Theoretically, IMO, only a Ballet Connoisseur can shoot good Ballet pictures... So please show your keepers. I know I'll enjoy them a lot.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Well,

To do ballet properly you still must have strobes and or really good lighting, otherwise you just can't get those apex moments most of the time. A big part is knowing the music and songs, but I am not at the level of the top dance mag photogs - yet :wink: most of those are pure studio/theatre arranged shots.

Most of the time at events I do they don't allow flash and of course you can't do that during performance either,

so as requested here are some none flash keeper shots for the studio, some of these ballet, some not, but about the best I can do right now in natural stage lighting, These are the ones I have releases for, since most are minors, so this also limits my web posting too. These are ultra low res files around 50kb to keep folks from copying off the site and printing, so you may see some jagged edges.

2ndattempt.JPG

Dance%20Perfromance96.JPG

_DSC1122.JPG

_DSC1111.JPG

_DSC3179.JPG

_DSC1462worked.JPG

_DSC3310.JPG

06%20Dufrenne%20Dance%20095.JPG

06%20Dufrenne%20Dance%20097.JPG

06%20Dufrenne%20Dance%20191.JPG

06%20Dufrenne%20Dance%20495.JPG

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Yep one of the best, We don't get that many jumps and leaps in the younger groups,

Wade

I

imagefusion

Dance by far is one of the hardest subjects to capture well.
These images are first rate !

I should be posting a bunch today (hope that they are as good !)

Dave

Latest threads

Top Bottom