1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

B+W CP Filter question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Palouse, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Can anyone tell me how a B&W Kaeseman CP Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) differs from a "regular" B&W CP MRC one?

I'm looking to replace my cheap Hoyas that I use on my 17-55 and 80-200 (both 77mm).

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Nah the Hoya CP filters are better

3. The best foils, sealed edges. If you like them to fall apart, stay with the Hoyas. :biggrin:

4. Thanks Will. I've had Hoyas for years--got the second cheapest in the line (gotta be better than the worst!) and never got around to upgrading when my collection of glass got better!

5. Thanks Tom. Yes, I have my own examples of the uneven polarization. B+W it will be--my wife even gave me permission to!!

6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    B + W (aka Schneider) is infamous for selling overpriced glass...

7. I have used Hoya Pro 1 Super multicoated and B+W MRC and see no significant difference either way. I do see a difference using the cheap Hoya.

If testing one against the other then one really needs to shoot in identical conditions, and the examples above are clearly shot under very different conditions, and using comparable priced items - I don't know if that was the case above or whether the Hoya was a cheapo.

The UV's I use in harsh conditions are all B+W MRC but as the Pro 1 is quite a bit cheaper and gives me the same discernable performance I use the Hoya CP's.

8. I like the B&W ones purely because the MRC ones seem easy to clean.

It could just be me, but whenever I try to clean a Hoya I tend to mess them up, once they get a bit manky they are a ***** to clean - I've stripped a coating from one using Eclipse fluid to clean (my fault there).

The MRC's come up as good a new with a polish I find. Ditto with Heliopan. Same glass / coatings as B&W.

Not convinced there is a difference optically though. All filters are over-priced for what they are IMHO.

9. Good info that! I'll try and remember to do a comparison series. That would satisfy my own morbid curiosity too!

10. Looks a lot like the Tiffen CP I tossed in the trash. What a terrible piece of glass that was! :eek: 

11. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    I doesn't help a bit. In fact, it's very deceptive. Try the same test with the Hoya on the 17mm lens and the BW on the fisheye.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.