B&W Floral Pics....

Why B&W? Well, the traditional view is that B&W is best suited to capture only the form and texture of a subject, thereby giving you the simple essence of the subject... In view of that, floral is one subject that flourish on form and texture ... therefore, B&W.

Now, that's the boy scout version.... Between you and me, B&W is simply the only kind of film I can develop myself (al-cheapo-ly). When I learn how to develop colour, I'll probably give you another version ...

It is a cold and imperfect world they live in ...
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 11297
View attachment 11298

Kodak Tri-X 400 taken with Nikon D+SLR (aka Nikon Coolscan V + Nikon FA). First two pics with Nikkor-O 55/1.2; last with Rodenstock XR-Heligon 75/1.1.

Regit, very good composition. The tone and grain are not at the optimum with that film. In making test i found that using ISO 200 makes with better tone and grain and also what developer did you use?

As for color the negative kind is not that much trouble to develop, the trouble is more in printing from those negatives.

Hey Regit!

These are awesome! Certainly a breadth of fresh air after seeing things in colour for a while...

Good to see your work again, been a while (not that I am actively looking) :wink:

Regards,
Jonathan

Nice change of pace Regit. You help us all see past our normally solid boundaries. :wink:

Regit
Nice to be taken back to basics and reminded of the place many of us came from. Love the "feel" of those flowers and all your samples. BTW - how does the Rodenstock hang on the camera? Adapter or Nikon mount? And how does it do with portraits - looks very soft. Great collection of lenses you have

Gilles said:
Regit, very good composition. The tone and grain are not at the optimum with that film. In making test i found that using ISO 200 makes with better tone and grain and also what developer did you use?

As for color the negative kind is not that much trouble to develop, the trouble is more in printing from those negatives.

Thank you for the comment :) These were taken at ISO1200 and develop in Diafine. Normally, the grain is well controlled and tonality is good with this combo, but I intentionally harded the grained to give more imperfection to the pics. On the side note, even I don't do it, the Coolscan I'm using is quite merciless on grain :(

Thanks for the input on color film, I will investigate more on color :) I'm actually more intested in E-6 and I heard it is not worthwhile by DYI...

viewfinder said:
Hey Regit!

These are awesome! Certainly a breadth of fresh air after seeing things in colour for a while...

Good to see your work again, been a while (not that I am actively looking) :wink:

Regards,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan :) It cerainly had been a while. I'm been hiding away but it is good to come out and see the world once in a while :)

Flew said:
Nice change of pace Regit. You help us all see past our normally solid boundaries. :wink:

I'm just glad that no one complain about the lack of colour!!! :)

mike mac said:
Alwys pusing the llimit, you make me step back and think, thanks for sharign these wonderful shots

Thank you, Mike :) I'm glad you like these. I've seen many great colour floral pics; hopefully these will give some alternate perspectives.

patrickh said:
Regit
Nice to be taken back to basics and reminded of the place many of us came from. Love the "feel" of those flowers and all your samples. BTW - how does the Rodenstock hang on the camera? Adapter or Nikon mount? And how does it do with portraits - looks very soft. Great collection of lenses you have

Hi Patrick, the Rodenstock is glue to a M42-Nikon mount; both can be had fairly cheaply on eBay. Unfortunately, due to the very short back focal length, micro is just about all this lens can do. You can however, reverse mount this for far-subject, but the results are not as nice as micro work. As for as I know, the only Tamron make a soft-focus lens for Nikon (using apdatall) and can be used for portrait, but the bokeh is not good when soft effect is in use :( I guess the best way is through PS :)

jczinn said:
great to see you again here! and as usual, your shots are an inspiration...always unique. Thanks for posting them.

Hi Janet :) It is always good to hear from you... I'm kicking myself for missing much around here... but I'm taking my time to catch up :)

Regit your explanation make more sense, I tought that you took the picture at the normal rating of the film. When I did not mind the grain stucture I used Agfa Rodinal to develop which gives a fine grain stucture but very sharp looking picture.

Note: one thing I do when I enlarge a picture, the old sheet of paper that I used to composed my image on is divided in thirds, vertically and horizontaly, to help me to place the elements of the picture.

M

MariaVoniati

OUAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They are very artistic.B&W photos makes me dreaming, travelling in different world.

Thanks

O

ocbennett

Excellent shots Regit

I really like the second shot, the composition and the sublt tones really make this one stand out for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom