1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

B&W Portrait

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Jim Strathearn, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Window light, no reflector, f/3.2, 640 ISO, 1/225s

[​IMG]

Some of you will recognize Rebecca - Emma's primary nurse when she was in the NICU. Rebecca is an avid photographer and has been assisting me with some baby portrait sessions. While doing those, I sneak in a few portraits of her from time to time... :wink: I think this one came out rather well for an impromptu grab...

2. Nice balance, especially with the strong window light; you'd have thought it would be impossible to keep from blowing it out without losing the shadows. A very lovely lady, especially her eyes.

Thanks,

3. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I like this photo - sometimes B&W says so much more than color. Rebecca looks great; her eyes and half smile exude personality and warmth.

4. Hey, how neat to see Rebecca again! For a quick "grab" shot, this is pretty darned nice! Her warmth and caring shines through, especially in her eyes and gentle smile. What fun that she's going out shooting with you these days! I'll bet you guys have a lot of fun, especially with the wee ones as your subjects!

5. Thanks for the replies! She does have stunning eyes... :wink:

Here they are in color:

[​IMG]

6. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Love it. Looks like her face is coming out of the screen. Her look makes me smile :smile:

7. :wink:

8. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Pretty shots Jim!

9. Thanks Steve! Having a pretty subject helps...:wink:

10. bobcool

bobcool

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yes, there's something about a B&W natural light shot that's done properly. Great shot, especially since it was done on the fly and with no other light source or reflectors. Having all that free light up in the sky can come in handy if you know how to make it work to your advantage, which you did!

11. Thanks Bob! :wink:

12. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    Both shots are very nice, and her eyes definitely stand out in each shot.

13. Thanks Jaws! :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.