B&W: Silver Efex or CNX2?

I could have posted this in Retouching section, but since this section most likely draws more B&W gurus, I thought I better post my question here.

Currently i am running a trial version of Silver Efex on PSP Elements 8.0, by Nik software. The object is to be able to convert (raw) files to B&W. There are many ways to do it (Channel Mixer, B&W layer, fill layer set to Color mode etc), but then it still requires a lot of postprocessing to get the desired effects. Meaning, gettting over the flat, grayish appearance, and adding the contrasty "bite" that can make B&W photos popping out so much. All without overdoing it.

I used my trial version of CNX2 quite some time ago, and cannot run it anymore on my computer, so a direct one to one comparison is beyond possibility right now.

I like the control point method of Silver Efex, and as far as I remember, CNX2 has the same tools.

Question: Silver Efex is a plugin, costing double of what PSPE 8.0 costs, and it handles B&W only. CNX2 can handle all raw files, colour or B&W. And costs less then SEFX. Now, who has experience with both, and which one would you choose if you could only pick one?

Thymen

Have both and I could not live with out silver effects for serious black and white conversions. No contest if it is ONLY about black and white conversion.

I used the trial of Silver Effects as an Aperture plug in and it was awesome! It's on my shortlist to buy.

I used the trial of Silver Effects as an Aperture plug in and it was awesome! It's on my shortlist to buy.

I received Silver Efex and Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Christmas! I must be nuts cause its still under the tree:eek: Cant wait to try them out.. I had the free trial of Color Efex earlier this year and loved it so im sure ill love SE too..

Real Name
Alex
I use both. Sometimes I just do B&W or monochrome in CNX2, sometimes I do it in SEP, when the subject needs more complex processing or one of the (customized) presets will do. I also created a few presets in CNX2 so I see which one looks better in any given situation.

well.... in a couple of days I'll have my birthday. Still have some days left to find out what to ask for a gift.

Here in Holland we pay about 180 Euros (US $ 260) for SEP, and I think it's quite expensive for only a plugin. CNX2 is about US $ 216, and it's also on my list.

I thniks I'll fire up one of the old computers around here to try out a CNX2 trial, to find out how much these two programs overlap eachother. But currently I am leaning towards SEP...

Thanks for the answers, people!

Thymen

Latest threads

Top Bottom