1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

B&W with color masking

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Cslucas34, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    217E168F-7D94-4EE8-B51E-7610CB73956F.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Here’s one I took the other day doing some street photography on Detroit. I left the flags in color to make them pronounced but the rest is black and white. Technically inverted layers with subtractive blending vice a true black and white correction. This allowed me to prounounce the cloud definition more than a normal b & w conversion.

2. I'm not sure I understand your explanation but I like the results. The clouds do stand out and the color of the flags match up with the mood of the image perfectly. I've played a bit with color in black and white shots but not with that degree of sophistication.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    I am glad you like it! I probably could have explained the process better. Instead of using a typical black and white conversion where the image processing software just converts the colors to greyscale; I duplicated the image 3 times and inverted 2 of the layers and used subtraction blending to cancel out the color and highlight the differences more. It makes the shadows a little darker and the highlights a little lighter. That’s probably a terrible explanation but basically it achieves a similar look to black and white but more pronounced. If you have ever inverted your colors on your image that’s the basis for this method.

4. I like that ring.
    Vaguely like scene from Star Gate:) 
    Your selective colouring is nicely done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. More proof that there is more than one way to skin the cat.

Consider making the flags that are outside the circle also in B&W. Something is blue, I think a person's clothing, at the lower left area of the ring.

6. Nicely done (y)

7. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I do like the Stargate and the shot overall.
    The rest is just personal preference, not criticism in the hope you may find it helpful, particularly if you decide to print without taking a closer look - may save you a few $$

Not 100% on the inverted look. The cloud issue could have been dealt with quite easily by luminosity masking.

The colour issue of the coat Mike mentioned is also present within the gate on the right hand side a blue triangle between the tree and the wall

There is also colour spill artifacting apparent in the centre of the web like structure and the American flag also exhibits colour spill particularly in this area

8. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    Thank you I was also thinking Star gate! Haha

9. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    Thanks for the tips! I’m always learning and definitely have much to learn! I had missed the color artifacts on my mask, thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.