B17g and B24

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PGB, Nov 5, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    A b17g and a b24 were in town this week.

Here are some shots of the b17g. I'll post more later of the b24 Liberator.

Thanks, any comments always appreciated.

43154142-O.

43154141-O.

43185084-O.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice captures, Patrick. The first thing that caught my eye, because of what I have learned from the other members, was that you lowered the shutter speed to blur the propellors. The contrast of both images looks pretty darned good, considering the cloudy skies. I would have enjoyed seeing them in person!

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Frank,

Thanks for the comments. I was at 1/160 for these shots using the the 70-200 VR at f12. I didn't like the cloud cover because it wasn't very consistant. Some blue, some grey, some more grey. It was just overcast and I have trouble with overcast skies. I was particulary happy with the prop blur.

The B17 was really pretty and the B24, still a gem, was a rugged plane. I liked it a lot. But above all the sound of them both was spine tingling.

Thanks for the comments.

5. Hi Patrick,

Nice photos. Do they still offer rides?

Those two aircraft usually stop in South Florida during the winter. Sometimes they fly right past the windows of our 19th floor condo. One time they both came in low right over the building flying in formation. The building is 30 stories high and all reinforced concrete. It felt like an earthquake, the whole building was shaking. Can you imagine what a WW II formation with hundreds of these would have sounded like?

Maybe I can get some photos of them this year. I don't think they were by this last winter. I'll see if I can find some old images from the '03-'04 season.

EDIT - Yes I did find it, no way as good a photo as yours, but I did have the sky you were looking for!
    43188396-L.

Bob

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The Liberator is a beautiful aircraft...WOW, one has to wonder if it is a restored bird or just well preserved. Nice shooting, Patrick!

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Terrific shots!

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Bob,

Yes they do offer rides. $400.00 per 30 min. If I could have scraped it up I would have been first in line. That would be a real treat.

According to the Collings Foundation website http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_information.htm These are based out of New Smyrna Beach Florida.

They said that this was the last flying B24 in the States. I'll have to check further. You obviously have a shot of a Liberator. I'll have to research further.

The sound Bob, was magnificent. Especially on startup.

Thanks,

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

Frank,

This one saw its share of combat. Flew a ton of missions. Up close you could see some patches as well as on the interior. It looked like it took some heat.

Thanks for checking these out.

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

Thanks Ken. It was a lot of fun. Glad to see you back on the board!

Regards,

11. Hi Patrick,

My photo is of the same aircraft. The link you gave me indicates that the paint job was changed from All American/Dragon & His Tail (the right and left sides were different) to the Witchcraft paint that you photographed. My photo was in February 2004 and it was repainted in July 2004 per the website.

I think it was "only" $300 per flight in 2004. I met someone who did it and he really thought it was super. It might be a bit spooky flying on a plane almost as old as I am, but it probably has been better maintained than me :wink:

Bob

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Well Bob, I prefer traditional flight surfaces, controls, and mechanics over any Fly by Wire aircraft of today. I think it would be a ride of a lifetime to fly in a piece of history.

Thanks for the info on the paint job. I guess I didn't see that mentioned.

Regards,

13. I agree with Paul. Nice and sharp. I really enjoyed the close up picture one myself.

14. Hey I know that plane.. It is owned by the Collings Foundation and they also have a B-24 Liberator called the Dragon something...

Nice shots....

How about a Airplane war.. Post your best shots of a B-25, B24 or B-17...

15. Hi Patrick,

nice capture's. I like these "oldtimers" better than these modern planes. they have a "history"
    Love the motion on the props

16. I love the prop planes...Wonderfully captured - the first two especially.

Thanks

Bohdan

17. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Mellissa, Eric, Alex, Bohdan,

Thank you for the comments. I too love vintage aircraft. I am trying to expand my aircraft portfolio when I have the opportunity. Not many old timers flying in this area. Have to catch them when they come to town.

These are owned by the Collings Foundation Eric.

Ok, I take it you have a b25 in your stash somewhere. Break it out!!!

Thanks for stopping by,

18. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I was just going to ask if the B-24 was the same one that used to be painted as "All-American". Guess it is.

19. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Apparently so. Bob posted a picture he got last year before the new paint job. It must have recently been done.

Thanks,