Babies everywhere!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Yvette, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    For a while I have been watching a couple of Cardinals in my yard and last week-end I got to see thier babies in the nest. The day before yesterday I saw a Cardinal in my back yard hopping around on the grass so I went out to take some pics. I thought it was a female looking for food. A little while later I looked up and there was this tiny Cardinal sitting on the fence. He looked way too young to be out the nest. But there were a couple of Bluebirds flying around the area where the nest was. They did not look like they were up to any good. Anyway, I took some shots of the baby and yesterday he was still sitting in the same tree. But the parents were fussing around another area so I went to look and there was another cardinal baby, but a little older. I read up last night on the Cardinal and they say that they may have a more than one brood of chicks a year. I didn't know that. So the older one may have been theirs as well. Anyway, after I looked at my pictures I realized that the bird I had seen hopping around on the grass was actually a juvenile cardinal.

The Baby
    CardinalChick.

The Mom
    View attachment 92649

Juvenile? This bird was not flying, just hopping around the bottom of the bushes and the female was fussing around it yet I have read that the juveniles have black beaks. Does anyone know?
    View attachment 92650

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    nice series well done

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    They truly are a joy to watch. I have a pair of Robins that have a nest up under the eaves of my house. I've been feeding the parents meal worms for about two weeks, and now they sit next to the little dish that I put the worms in when they see me pull into the driveway. It is so neat. It is neat too to watch them fly up and stuff the worms into the babies' mouths. :smile:

4. Blue

Blue Guest

Great shots, that baby looks funny with those little feathers on the head.

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thank you. I have had fun watching them.

6. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Frank, it is a privilege to have these birds nest in our gardens and to be able to watch the little ones hatch and eventually leave thier nests. My only fear is that they get eaten by all the cats that roam around the neighborhood. But so far, so good. I think they have all made it so far. Next year I really want to set out some food for them all but we have such a problem with the squirrels. I just don't know how to keep them away from the bird food.

7. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Blue. He does look kinda strange, but cute at the same time.

8. I had never seen a juvie cardinal! Awsome. Thanks for posting.

Jose

9. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    You are welcome Jose. Glad you enjoyed them. Last year I did not have this camera and I think that it has opened my eyes to so much. I have lived in this house for three years and I don't remember ever seeing so many birds around.

10. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great captures Yvette.

11. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Too cute. Great light in the eye on the first little guy.

12. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Jimmy. Appreciate it.

13. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Hunter. Awesome avatar you have there. Wow.

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent captures of a bird I have never seen. That little fellow sure looks lonely.

15. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Torben. I felt quite sorry for the little guy. Hopefully a neighborhood cat or hawk won't find him.