Babies everywhere!

For a while I have been watching a couple of Cardinals in my yard and last week-end I got to see thier babies in the nest. The day before yesterday I saw a Cardinal in my back yard hopping around on the grass so I went out to take some pics. I thought it was a female looking for food. A little while later I looked up and there was this tiny Cardinal sitting on the fence. He looked way too young to be out the nest. But there were a couple of Bluebirds flying around the area where the nest was. They did not look like they were up to any good. Anyway, I took some shots of the baby and yesterday he was still sitting in the same tree. But the parents were fussing around another area so I went to look and there was another cardinal baby, but a little older. I read up last night on the Cardinal and they say that they may have a more than one brood of chicks a year. I didn't know that. So the older one may have been theirs as well. Anyway, after I looked at my pictures I realized that the bird I had seen hopping around on the grass was actually a juvenile cardinal.

The Baby
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Mom
View attachment 92649

Juvenile? This bird was not flying, just hopping around the bottom of the bushes and the female was fussing around it yet I have read that the juveniles have black beaks. Does anyone know?
View attachment 92650

They truly are a joy to watch. I have a pair of Robins that have a nest up under the eaves of my house. I've been feeding the parents meal worms for about two weeks, and now they sit next to the little dish that I put the worms in when they see me pull into the driveway. It is so neat. It is neat too to watch them fly up and stuff the worms into the babies' mouths. :smile:

B

Blue

Great shots, that baby looks funny with those little feathers on the head.

They truly are a joy to watch. I have a pair of Robins that have a nest up under the eaves of my house. I've been feeding the parents meal worms for about two weeks, and now they sit next to the little dish that I put the worms in when they see me pull into the driveway. It is so neat. It is neat too to watch them fly up and stuff the worms into the babies' mouths. :smile:
Frank, it is a privilege to have these birds nest in our gardens and to be able to watch the little ones hatch and eventually leave thier nests. My only fear is that they get eaten by all the cats that roam around the neighborhood. But so far, so good. I think they have all made it so far. Next year I really want to set out some food for them all but we have such a problem with the squirrels. I just don't know how to keep them away from the bird food.

I had never seen a juvie cardinal! Awsome. Thanks for posting.

Jose
You are welcome Jose. Glad you enjoyed them. Last year I did not have this camera and I think that it has opened my eyes to so much. I have lived in this house for three years and I don't remember ever seeing so many birds around.

Excellent captures of a bird I have never seen. That little fellow sure looks lonely.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom