1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Baby Ben

Discussion in 'People' started by Farmergirl, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting with my cousin who just had a baby!! Of course I brought my camera and took some shots. This is what I came up with. I converted some to B/W thought they looked better. Any comments welcome!!

Sarah

Ben's feet with Mom and Dad's wedding rings. It was really sweet because Dad did not want to take his off! He hasn't taken it off since the day they got married. So when we were done Mom had to put it back on. Now that is true love!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hi Sarah

Being a dad (some time ago at this stage) the second shot works the best for me!

I see in dad's expression, just the right balance of caution, tenderness and love.

3. Thanks Adam was so cute with baby Ben he couldn't stop kissing him!!

4. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    These are very nice captures, especially the first two. The proud parents must love them! The one critique I have is to work on your B&W conversions, they look a bit flat IMHO.

5. Thanks Gilbert
    How do I change that. I am not a photoshop wizard. Maybe you can help

Sarah

6. JDex

JDex

Jul 17, 2007
    Cerritos, CA
    nice images and the baby is cute!

for your B&W, try bumping up the contrast but make sure you don't loose details....

7. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Sarah,

If you are using Photoshop, you'll want to play with the channel mixer with different combinations of the channels to get the image that you want.

A second easier (but less flexible) method is to convert your image from RGB mode to LAB mode, delete the 'A' and 'B' channels, and then convert back to RGB. That often works well.

8. Cute shots and good idea with the rings.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All super shots.
    Don't care for the last one with a pacifier

10. Thanks for the comments

11. Sarah, these are great. It is so fun watching you progress in your photography!

I like the one of all three of them the best. But as gilbert mentioned, your conversions are a little flat (lacking contrast). Here is my favorite shot of yours on the left, and my version on the right. I will take my version down if you don't want it posted...just let me know.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I follow a pretty simple tutorial, and you can find it here:

http://tutiki.nikoncafe.com/w/index.php/Daniel_Diaz_BW_Technique

I think a lot of folks here use something like this, and then have added their own tweaks along the way. The only tweak that I added was a gaussian blur to give it a softer feel.

Have fun!!

12. Thanks John!! You are always a great help.

Sarah

13. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Wow...you must have really been inspired; you just went from very nice snapshot taker to portrait photographer. Excellent series!!!

Congrats on the big leap forward!:smile:

14. Thanks alot. Coming from you that is a great compliment. You are one of the people who inspire me. I think with this shoot I got lucky there was no pressure as the Mom is my cousin and let me snap away!!

Sarah

15. I tried my hand at photoshop!!

Today the baby slept for a long time so I had a chance to edit some pics. I used some tips from you all. Let me know what you think!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The edited versions are first. Sorry forgot to put that on top. Any suggestions to improve is always welcome!!

Sarah

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.