Baby Elephant Born at The Louisville Zoo

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by gadgetguy11, Jul 23, 2007.

1. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Scotty was born at The Louisville Zoo March 18 after Micki underwent artificial insemination June 2005. Born 285#, Scotty weighed 410# on 6-01.
    He now romps daily in the elephant exhibit - so you can finally see and photograph Scotty! Here he is during his debut Saturday:

176112227-L.

176116490-L.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  2. How adorable! I love the downy hair on his hide. Looks like he's enjoying himself. Thanks for sharing - feel free to post more pics of this little guy as he develops and grows.

3. Nice pictures! Young elefants are a joy to watch. (next to polar bear cubs and orangutans of course :rolleyes:) They have so much energy.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Adorable

5. awwww, I can almost hear that cute song "Baby Elephant Walk" Great job on such a cutie! Post more when you can!

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks, Sandi! He was really moving, you can see those feet high stepping! Seems like a very happy camper!!

Daniel, you are so right. I could not believe his energy. He was walking fast and running the whole time. About the polar bears, great that you mentioned them. Polar Bear exhibit is a high budget project, the next in line here at The Louisville Zoo. The staff went to Antarctica and studied their habitat before designing our new exhibit. The Zoo is offering car license plates with a polar bear to help fund the project. The primary zoo focus is on Polar Bears to get the millions of $$ needed for this massive undertaking! We have a license plate on order! Thanks for your kind remarks.

Isn't he a real sweetie?

Thanks, Dianne! I will keep a close watch on this wonderful fellow and will post whatever he does that I think you will enjoy!

Thanks to all for the most generous comments. This was my first local outing with F15Todd's hand-me-down 300VR fitted to my D2X, on a monopod. Thanks, Todd, for the nice glass!

7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Great shots John, I love that first one. I'm glad to see you were able to to put the 300mm VR to use. Look forward to seeing more.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thank you, Todd! I hope things are good for you and your family in your new home. I look forward to seeing your posts, too!

9. He is just the cutest thing! The neat thing about elephant babies is that they stay babies for a long time. The Toledo Zoo's little Louie is a few years old now and still playful and a ton of fun to watch.