baby portrait - critique on composition

Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
714
Location
Fremont, CA, USA
My daughter [she started to stand up last week :)]

Question regarding the composition. Does this work [looking down on her] or should I have gone down to her eye level?

Any general guidelines to follow in a photo like this?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Light is a single AB 400 + Beauty Dish. [Thanks Joe Marques]
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,011
Location
San Jose, CA
obelix said:
My daughter [she started to stand up last week :)]

Question regarding the composition. Does this work [looking down on her] or should I have gone down to her eye level?
My preference for small animals, including children, is to get the camera lens down to their level, or even below it.
We're accustomed to seeing them from above, so a shot from beneath is more revealing, dramatic, and eyecatching.
But that's jmho.
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
714
Location
Fremont, CA, USA
UncleFrank said:
obelix said:
My daughter [she started to stand up last week :)]

Question regarding the composition. Does this work [looking down on her] or should I have gone down to her eye level?
My preference for small animals, including children, is to get the camera lens down to their level, or even below it.
We're accustomed to seeing them from above, so a shot from beneath is more revealing, dramatic, and eyecatching.
But that's jmho.
Thanks UF. I see what you mean.
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
714
Location
Fremont, CA, USA
greyflash said:
It's a really cute picture but I believe it would be improved if you lowered the angle of view. Besides kids love it when you get down with them.
Thanks Gordon. You are right, unfortunately, she barely stands for 10 secs at a time :).
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
1,133
Location
North Carolina, USA
I agree with the others about the camera angle, however --

that expression is priceless! You caught a great moment. :)

I'm new to portrait work; what's a beauty dish?
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
731
Location
Montreal area, Canada
What a CUTIE ....

She looks fantastic, yet another heartbreaker on the loose ... :eek:

The angle is not appropriate for a portrait but everyone else already said that however could be very effective for something else than a portrait.

Could be an add on " GROWING UP "

Expression is indeed priceless.
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
714
Location
Fremont, CA, USA
Re: What a CUTIE ....

Boobie Joe said:
She looks fantastic, yet another heartbreaker on the loose ... :eek:

The angle is not appropriate for a portrait but everyone else already said that however could be very effective for something else than a portrait.

Could be an add on " GROWING UP "

Expression is indeed priceless.
Thanks Yves, I got the D70 3 days after she has born. Let us say that she has learnt how to pose :), she reserves good expressions for photos.
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
714
Location
Fremont, CA, USA
CraigH. said:
What a little cutie. the composition and exposure looks great to me. would like to see it with a background light. :)
Craig

Thanks, one baby step at a time :)

I usually use my flash as the second light for the background and it comes with its own issues :).

Really can't afford another bees, for now, saving up for the 70-200 VR.

Appreciate your comments.
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
With this particular moment in time, to be the first to time stand up, and for such a short time, was captured well.

I believe if you had started to move downward she would have sat down. This way she stayed standing with her eyes up, and on you.

Had that happened you would have lost a precious moment in time.

Great image.

Just my 2 cents..

Just an old mom.

cheers
gale
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
714
Location
Fremont, CA, USA
Gale said:
With this particular moment in time, to be the first to time stand up, and for such a short time, was captured well.

I believe if you had started to move downward she would have sat down. This way she stayed standing with her eyes up, and on you.

Had that happened you would have lost a precious moment in time.

Great image.

Just my 2 cents..

Just an old mom.

cheers
gale
Thanks Gale :)

She has now learnt to stand up for 20+ secs. For this particular photo, I dragged her to the backdrop and she gave me about 5 secs to get it right.

It is one of those keepers that is an instant hit in the family - kinda justifies to myself that the expenses incurred for photography are well worth it :)
 
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
5,922
Location
Virginia Beach, Virginia
obelix said:
My daughter [she started to stand up last week :)]

Question regarding the composition. Does this work [looking down on her] or should I have gone down to her eye level?

Any general guidelines to follow in a photo like this?

Light is a single AB 400 + Beauty Dish. [Thanks Joe Marques]

I agree with everyone here that says to get down to her eye level but I have to say that this picture draws me to her eyes which I always read was what the picture should do the very first time you look at it.

I'm no pro at studio work but I like to dabble in it once in a while. I posted one on Yves post titled 'Skintone Test' of my 3 yr old.

Also I love the colors in her dress. She is adorable too :D
[/i]
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
obelix said:
My daughter [she started to stand up last week :)]

Question regarding the composition. Does this work [looking down on her] or should I have gone down to her eye level?

Any general guidelines to follow in a photo like this?

Light is a single AB 400 + Beauty Dish. [Thanks Joe Marques]
First, I LOVE the expression - priceless. :D The outfit works well too - great colors.

I would agree with the others - get at eye level. Another idea would be to use the diffusion sock if you aren't using it already and get the light closer for a tad more softness.

Good work and thanks for posting.

PS - I'm glad you like the BD (I'm also glad I influenced your purchase in a positive way - the BD is a fine tool).
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom