Baby portrait... harder than I thought!

Discussion in 'People' started by Broyer, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    435741904_1d65cc1009_o.

This is Reid Ratcliffe, my neighbor. 3 months old.

Vivitar 285 HV fired into an octobox via PW's 1/16th power. White foam board opposite the flash. f8 with an 85 1.4 D lens, Nikon d200.
    Used Bibble plugin called Tony to get the sepia tones.
    Added some selective sharpening and increased the vignette in CS2. Sized for web and overall sharpened. This is actually an outtake as Mom hasn't proofed the session yet. I'll post more when I can.

I built a mini studio in my home and it's been great for solo portraits and small product stuff. I thought it would be a breeze with a baby. Well, they don't travel light. We had him on a small table with his mom no more than 12 inches away. It was very cramped and I lost several shots from the mom blocking the light or not being able to feather it. Babies are tough!

CC welcome!

Tim

2. Babies are very difficult to shoot. You might want to have Mom stand RIGHT behind you with her face over your non-camera shoulder, talking to the baby. He'll automatically follow her voice for a very short time and you'll get a direct-on shot.
    I like the PP you did on this - has a very 50's feel to it! :smile:

3. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Tim,

I think this is exceptional! Comp, DOF, fill, PP, et al. I really like when the dark-side lighting nicely falls away from the subject into the background w/o getting lost in it. Beautiful soft glow behind his head. VERY nice edges all the way around the subject! Difficult or not, you nailed this one! Tnx! for sharing!

Mike

4. I don't know what the rest of them look like but this is excellent.

5. This is a great one..

6. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

That is a beautiful child and a terrific photograph - well done....I agree with the earlier post about having mom standing directly behind you etc...But the effect you captured here is well done...

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Great mood...great tonality and depth.

8. Tim, this is very well done...love the capture, processing and tones...the conversion is top shelf. Nice...

9. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Thanks all...

as promised, here is one more. I'll save the ones of him smiling for later!
    438979184_6b24e6343b_o.

10. wow great job! the second one is awesome.. I rarely like baby photos. ha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.