Baby Wood duck

This was the first time I've spotted these little guys, the mother had 9 babies with her at the time. I'm sure by the next time I see them there will be far fewer, the local GBH's reduce the population rather quickly.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's an awesome shot, Louie. The lilly pad makes it a little different.

...the mother had 9 babies with her at the time. I'm sure by the next time I see them there will be far fewer, the local GBH's reduce the population rather quickly.
For humans one of life's biggest tragedies is to lose a child. Imagine having to watch several of them be eaten alive :eek:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just noticed that's the sony….how do you like it so far ?
Thanks Randy. Ok, yes I went and got a Sony A9ii and the 200-600mm lens and I'm trying to shoot as much as I can before I have to make the decision to either keep it or return it. So, with that said so far I'm very impressed with the combo, the camera's focus is a killer, in Zone Focusing just point it at the subject and it locks on and stay locked. The 20fps is awesome but quickly you learn so shoot in burst otherwise you'll need a pocket full of SD cards. The lens is sweet, with a extremely short throw you can zoom from 200 to 600 and it's tack sharp wide open. So far I think it handles high ISO very well at ISO 5000 the images are very clean but clean up even better with a quick run through of Topaz DeNoise AI. So in short, I'm impressed and am inclined to keep the setup. However, one thing it's very different from a Nikon, smaller and just has a different feel but you quickly adapt, plus I think this is just the way mirrorless cameras are. Even if I keep the Sony setup I'm not selling any of my Nikon equipment. Each system has their place.

Last edited:
Like it - the lily pad adds a lot. I would never had known it was a wood duck without you mentioning it.
I agree with your Sony assessment, except I am not keeping my Nikon gear. Some is sold, others are waiting till I feel safe going to UPS. My only negative with the Sony is that it has too many options.

That's an awesome shot, Louie. The lilly pad makes it a little different.

For humans one of life's biggest tragedies is to lose a child. Imagine having to watch several of them be eaten alive :eek:
Hi Dan, and thank very much and boy are you right on most of those little cuties not surviving.
Like it - the lily pad adds a lot. I would never had known it was a wood duck without you mentioning it.
I agree with your Sony assessment, except I am not keeping my Nikon gear. Some is sold, others are waiting till I feel safe going to UPS. My only negative with the Sony is that it has too many options.
Hi Allan, thanks and we should talk some time regarding our Sony experiences.

great image of the little cutie Louie
would be interesting to hear why you would keep your nikons and the purposes they have their place at compared to the sony

Cute little guy.
I'm also curious about your Sony experience.
Hi Bill thanks. I'll send you a conversation to discuss the Sony A9ii.
A real cutie and the lily pad makes the image(!)

One more interesting thing about the Sony A9II that is not obvious, buffer is not a problem, despite the SD only cards, must have a serious internal buffer
Thanks very much Andreas, and yes indeed the camera has a very deep buffer.
great image of the little cutie Louie
would be interesting to hear why you would keep your nikons and the purposes they have their place at compared to the sony
Thanks Brian, long story about my keeping my Nikon stuff, I'll send you a conversation on it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom