Bachup body for my D2X that i still don't have

I am right now trying to decide which body to, maybe, buy as a backup interim measure before my D2x arrives.

Preferably would like a D2 series body with 1/500th flash sync but thats not possible. Looked at a D70s but the lack of grip and small viewfinder turned me off. I guess my other option would be a D1H or D1X, and i can get the H for about $850 Canadian and a D1X for $1800 canadian. Any thoughts? I have used a D1H, and it is good but a little on the old side in features and ergonomics

D

Dave Crausby

Daniel,

I have used Fuji S1, S2, D1, D1X and D2H....
I will be using Fuji S2 as my main back up body when my D2X arrives in fact I hope it will be more than just a back up body.. I wil use it in conjunction with the D2X on the street, etc, especially when I need to shoot quickly... I will be using the S2 because I am happy with the results I get from it and also my workflow is well established with it

I guess it depends what you are using your cameras for?

All the best.

Dave

Daniel,

I was positive that I posted a reply to this message yesterday. Must not have hit the submit button. :oops: It was pretty hectic with all of the new members.

I would highly recommend the D2H if you can possible swing it. It is a great cam on its own, and has many accessories that are common to the D2X, including the battery and charger, and the feel and control layout will be easy to move to and from it and D2X.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks for the response guys.

The one thing i was trying to get amongst other features was a 1/500th flash sync

DSX and H only have 1/250th

D70 has 1/500th but a little small and consumner for me

Only other option i see is a D1 series

draithby said:
Thanks for the response guys.

The one thing i was trying to get amongst other features was a 1/500th flash sync

DSX and H only have 1/250th

D70 has 1/500th but a little small and consumner for me

Only other option i see is a D1 series

Not a problem if you are using the SB800 flash and have your camera set for FP. I have shot all the way up to 1/8000 with the D2H. You do lose a couple of stops of light in FP but with fast lenses that should not be a major drawback.

Good point and i had read about auto high speed fp sync on sb800 but had not tried it.

My issue is i like to shoot speed skating and hockey indoors where you need more light and are pretty much forced to either use iso1600 as i have with not great grain or use a high speed flash sync.

My question on this is for somebody who has used it for higher speed sports : how well does this high speed sync mode of the 800 work?

Also, you couldn't use this higher speed sync with strobes as they are manual and would require a true 1/500th of a sec sync shutter.

Just musing over my options. Prob be D2H or D1 or H

The SB800 flash works great with the FP option but is obviously not intended for large arena type shooting where lots of light is needed. I have used it on numerous occassions and have not had a problem with it. Coupled with the 85mm f1.4 it would be awesome. As for strobe sync you are right the D2H tops out at 1/250 sec.

I think you would be very happy with a D2h as a
backup. Even more so if you went for the new
D2hs. It would be nice to be able to share the
same batts and your not going to have that if you
op for a D1x or h

Its a good point about sharing the acessories with a d2h.

I'll have to think this over since i really am stuck a bit on that 1/500th sync.

Thats ok as im still thinking over this and a 200-400 vr nikkor and a 200 f4 micro !!!

Hee hee, lots to think about!

JAM

I'm kind of going through the same process; except I'm trying to decide which camera to sell when the D2X arrives this coming week.

I'm leaning toward keeping the D2H for the reasons mentioned above, but also because the ergonomics of the two cameras would be virtually identical.

So I guess the D1X goes on sale - unless I win the lottery and could afford to keep all of them :!:

Latest threads

Top Bottom