Back At The Pond

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by OHcorgis, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Here's Lookin At You - Blue Dasher looks to be chomping on something

881730263_899d366f26_b.

Male Pond Hawk - Blue Beauty

View attachment 107624

200mm micro

2. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Good shots. I like the pondhawk.

3. Great shots of my favorite insect to shoot. Love the color.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful dragonflies. My favorite is the pondhawk shot.

5. Thank you all so much. Yes, those pond hawks are very pretty! I saw at the pond a dragonfly, I kid you not, about the size of a hummingbird. It had a blue tail. This dragon never stopped to rest. I wonder what it could be?

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    If it were over here I would say it was an Anax Imperator. Our biggest dragonfly but I don't know if it lives in the USA.

Here's a messy shot of the imperator. Very difficult to get because he hides in the grass and is very alert. Did he look like this?
    original.

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I did a bit of googling. Aparently the Anax imperator is found in USA. But you have one called the Common Green Darner (Anax junius) that looks a lot like the imperator.

You also have big dragonfly called the Giant Darner - Anax walsinghami, but it is not supposed to live in Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  8. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Torben has it. Common green darner. These never seem to sit still. Try looking in tall grass very early. Here is a picture of one in the grass.

original.

9. MrsWeidner

MrsWeidner Guest

Those are beautiful!

P.S on a side note, I looked at your Corgi site! They are all very sweet! My entire family has Corgi's. There is nothing cuter that a pudgy little Corgi pup!

10. Great shots all, well done all round.

Alex

11. Well, you got a beautiful shot of it. Funny to call it a green darner, when the tail is blue:wink: I will have to try an early morning shoot to see if I can find this one at rest for a second.

Thank you all. What is it that has us so hooked on dragons:smile:

12. Thank you Jennifer. I am in the process of doing my last breeding. Hopefully all the pups are well placed before they are even born. PWC are a wonderful family dog and their smiling faces make you happy.

I did have a talk with one of them who caught and mangled a common white tail dragon though:Teeth:

13. great shots...mine do not sit long enough for me to get a sharp pic...must b me? david