Back Button Focus and framing after focus etc

Hi,

I hope someone can help please.

I use my D750 most of the time and have it set to Back Button Focus.

I had not used the camera for some months and when I came to use it again it required me to re-set the date and time etc: I presumed some settings might be lost but thankfully, the Back Button Focus still works.

However, whereas before I could focus using the BBF and then re-frame the image, unless I keep the BBF down on the subject, the camera will not fire.

If I focus and then try to frame, for example, putting the subject to the left or right of what was originally the focus point is will not shoot.

I suspect there is another setting that I have lost/forgotten about to allow me to move from the focus point and shoot etc.

Can someone help me please.

Much appreciated.

Best wishes Ray

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Ray,
read your manual, please.
Somewhere is a small Li-battery to buffer your settings.
It needs to be exchanged from time to time...

Kind regards
Klaus

Ray,
read your manual, please.
Somewhere is a small Li-battery to buffer your settings.
It needs to be exchanged rom time to time...

Kind regards
Klaus
I didn't realise...

Thank you Klaus...

Time to start reading....

Best wishes Ray

A2 - Focus Priority - Release.

DG
MASSIVE THANKS DaveG...

Really appreciate that...to be honest I was looking all over at the wrong things....

Really do need to read up and learn more.

Very grateful for this...I can now frame and shoot as I prefer.

Best wishes

Ray

Search your camera manual in PDF format for "Save/Load Settings." It will explain how to save your camera's settings to a memory card. Once that is done, you can load the settings such as in the situation you just encountered, when the camera repair shop resets your camera to the default settings, when you accidentally change a setting and don't realize you had done so, etc., etc., etc. It won't save all of the settings. As an example, on my cameras it doesn't save the U1 - U3 User Settings as well as a few other settings, but it saves most settings including the settings pertaining to back button focusing. There are also lots of online tutorials explaining how to save and load your settings.

I added "Save/Load Settings" to My Menu, making it very easy to access without having to remember which default menu it is in and without having to drill down through a long list of menu items to get to it.

Last edited:
Search your camera manual in PDF format for "Save/Load Settings." It will explain how to save your camera's settings to a memory card. Once that is done, you can load the settings such as in the situation you just encountered, when the camera repair shop resets your camera to the default settings, when you accidentally change a setting and don't realize you had done so, etc., etc., etc. It won't save all of the settings. As an example, on my cameras it doesn't save the U1 - U3 User Settings as well as a few other settings, but it saves most settings including the settings pertaining to back button focusing. There are also lots of online tutorials explaining how to save and load your settings.

I added "Save/Load Settings" to My Menu, making it very easy to access without having to remember which default menu it is in and without having to drill down through a long list of menu items to get to it.
Thank you Mike...

This has really taught me how little I know about my gear....I think I knew that I only understood the very basics and things I used BUT...when something goes wrong it is being able to not only know how to fix a problem but what to look for etc...

This would help a great deal.

Thank you so much

Best wishes Ray

I just sent my D850 in for service. When I got it back, all the settings had been re-set to factory defaults. Thankfully, I had watched Steve Perry's short video and backed up my settings before sending it in............
Thank you Karen...

I am just going to finish my work things and then go right over to that video...

So grateful for the help.

Best wishes Ray

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom