1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Back button focus

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by asterix, Jul 18, 2007.

1. asterix

asterix

Jun 19, 2007
    UK
    Does any of the nikon gear have back button focus, I had a go at a 1d at weekend and was very impressed with the back button focus facility. Been meaning to check if my gear will do that (or does any?)

Thanks

2. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    I'm not sure if this is what you mean but...

You can set the ae-l/af-l button to autofocus on my D70s through the custom menus and I'm pretty certain you can do the same on the D80 and D200, not sure about the D50 off the top off my head.

A lot of people prefer it that way, I know I do, and you can set the shutter button for exposure lock on half press if you need to.

Hope this helps.

3. You have a D200, there is an "AF-on" button on the back as well as grip, use it :smile:

4. All the Nikon models have that capability... even the d40 has it...
    you use the AE-L button as the AF-on button...
    it's in the menus setting..

I have all of my cameras set up this way:biggrin:

5. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    AF-ON....it's in your D200 manual. It's the only way to go......

6. asterix

asterix

Jun 19, 2007
    UK
    Thanks for the help guys, I didnt have manual as moving home is a pain, I used that back button today, Its superb little feature, really pleased. thanks all. Is there any other "little"tips on the 200. Ive set the banks up now but any other little features people have tried?

thanks

7. The manual is available online at Nikon Support, download a copy, you will always have one available that way, no need to find the Hard Copy.

8. I'm confused by the term. What do you mean by "back button focus"?

Bruce

9. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Back focus button? :tongue:

10. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Hi Bruce,

Basically it means using a button on the back of the camera for auto focusing instead of the usual half press of the shutter button. On lower end bodies like the D70s you can set the ae-l/af-l button for auto focus (AF on) via the custom menus, on higher end and pro bodies there's a dedicated af button to do the job.

11. thebac

thebac

Jul 23, 2007
    US
    Pretty funny,...

Actually, the new Mark III is the first Canon that actually has a dedicated AF-On Button. All earlier Canons you could use a custom function to program the * button as AF-On, but unlike Nikon's pro cameras, Canon never had a dedicated AF-On button before.

12. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Yeah... Maybe I should have made it clear that I was talking about Nikon bodies.

Sorry, next time I'll try and remember there are other manufacturers out there. :smile:

I obviously picked this screen name for a good reason.

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I think all DSLRs feature a way to configure the AEL/AFL button. I use mine a little differeently and I'll explain why.

I have mine set to AEL only. This way I can set exposure with the button (and sometimes I'm metering something other than the subject); then reframe and focus using the shutter button.

Here's a tip from Will Crockets new TTL DVD too. One of his 10 step recomendations mentions that you should use AF/AE lock on the subject and hold it while you then trip the shutter. A two button procedure.

I'd list out all 10 but I think that would be unethicaal as he sells the DVD for $50.

14. OK, thanks. I keep seeing references to the AF button on my D200. I've tried using it but I just can't see the advantage. Maybe you really can't teach an old dog new tricks. The trouble is, all the people who use AF make better photos than I do!

Bruce

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.